Chapter Twenty-Six

Seeing that tables and chairs were outside, the counselors and campers always had our three meals of the day outside. We had breakfast that morning. That was an hour ago, and the tops of the tables remained both unclean and uncleared. Paper plates, plastic spoons and forks, foam cups, and small drops of liquid from drinks were scattered on them. It was a disgusting mess.

My friends and I were at the tables and cleaning them up, and as we were doing so, we searched for what Debra ate and used.

"I remember that Debra had chicken and waffles for breakfast," Debbie pointed out. "I also remember that she did not eat the whole thing."

"So we are looking for any leftovers that are waffles and chicken," I said as I threw away some dirty napkins.

"Who the heck has chicken and waffles anyway?" Ethan demanded. "Chicken. Waffles. Boy, that does not sound pleasant."

We finished clearing the tables until there was only one plate, one fork, and one cup left. It was on the table where Debbie and I had sat at.

I facepalmed. "We should have just searched at that table. It would have saved us some time."

Ethan ran a hand through his hair. "The counselors will at least be happy that this area is clean."

We hurried to the table and stared.

On the plate were a few pieces of chicken and two pieces of waffles.

"Debra said that she could not finish this off," Debbie stated. "She was getting full."

"Do you think that the poison is in her food?" I guessed.

"It is a possibility," Kyle said. He had his hand and arm out and was about to grab something, when his arm tipped Debra's drink. The cup fell, and seeing that there was no lid on it, what was in it spilled out.

And sizzled.

As soon as the liquid, which was green, came in contact with the table, it bubbled and made sizzling sounds. The five of us watched in astonishment as the liquid that touched the table disappeared, and in its place was a black mark. Like the ones that fires leave behind.

"Do...do drinks do that?" Collin asked.

"Not that I know of," Kyle remarked.

I carefully picked up the cup and peered inside. The green liquid was bubbling like crazy.

"Ladies and gentlemen," I said. "I think that we found the poison." I examined the cup. "And we will finally get to know who our killer is because there are fingerprints on the cup."