Chapter Ten

The impact of the bullet struck me so hard that I fell back and landed in a heap on the ground. I let out a moan as I laid on my side and put my palms over the area where I was shot. I pulled up my legs so that the knees were pressing against my stomach, and tears soon covered my entire face. I was in pain. The most inducing, physical pain that I had ever felt in my life.

I was such in agony that I could not think straight. As a matter of fact, the only thoughts that swirled around my brain were these sentences:

Am I going to die? Yes, I am going to die.

I had gotten shot in one of the worst places possible. My chest. Near where my heart was. I figured that I had no chances of surviving because my heart would be unable to give me what my body needed with that darn bullet in its way.

I tried hearing any sounds that could have been surrounding me, however, it was a lost cause. I was greeted with nothing but silence. Dead silence. The kind that you never desire to hear. My guess was that I could not hear because my thoughts were clouding my focus on doing anything else.

I suddenly felt dizzy. I moved my hands away from my wound and raised them to my face. As I did, I noticed large, red and shiny spots on my palms and immediately realized what it was.

Blood. My blood. My fresh blood out in the open.

Not caring if the blood would get on my face, I buried my face in my hands and whimpered. Then sobbed. Then went back to whimpering.

I knew for sure that I was going to die. So what was the point of crying? Crying would not keep me from dying!

I sniffed, freed my face of my tears, and closed my eyes. No longer could I see the white light. Only black. Darkness.

It took a while, but I soon accepted my fate. Thanks to Prince Lucas and his stupid bullet, I was paying the price.

What did I do to deserve to get shot and bleed to death?

I felt all sorts of tension inside and all over my body, which made the pain even worse. I relaxed myself, slowly breathing in and out through my nose.

I thought about all the fantastic times that occurred throughout my life. The castle where I used to live in. When I was thrown off the carriage and into the woods. I smiled at that one, for it had been a blessing in disguise.

And Triste. Poor Triste. I was his one and only friend. Now that we could not be together anymore, what would he do? How would he move on without me?

I was his world to him. His everything. I rubbed my eyes as I felt the waterworks once again.

"I cannot leave..." I managed to choke out. "...not without Triste..."

"Honey? Who is Triste?"

"He is my friend, Lord..."

"Oh. So you made a friend in the woods. How quaint."

I heard a woman giggle and felt something being placed on my head. The object was soft...and warm.

"I am not the Lord, honey," the woman said. "Open your eyes. It is us. Mommy and Daddy."

Huh?

I opened my eyes and took in the atmosphere. I was definitely not in heaven. Instead, I was in a small room. Both the floor and walls were made of wood, and I took notice that I was lying in a bed. My head was laying on a soft pillow, and I was covered from my chest to my feet with a green blanket.

From the corner of my eye, I saw that I was hooked up to a machine. The machine was beeping, letting me know that I was still alive.

"Sweetheart?" someone said. It was a man's voice. "Your mind is probably so messed up right now. But do not worry. Your mother and I will get you back to the princess that you were meant to be in no time."

I grunted, trying to sit up, and squinted at the two people, the two adults, who were on either side of me and sitting in chairs - and I was shocked. Right away, I knew who they were.

My parents. Mom and Dad.

They had not changed one bit! They were still the same as they were when I joined the wolf tribe. No wrinkles. No grey hairs. They remained young and charming.

Dad had black hair and his short, black beard, and Mom had her long, brown hair that reached the lower part of her back. They wore crowns. Dad had on a big crown, while Mom wore one that was a bit smaller. They even were wearing their regular clothing. Dad was wearing a blue, shiny robe that reached to his feet, and Mom had on a pink, shiny robe that reached to her ankles.

I was in such a panic to see them again. I could feel my heart pounding hard against my chest. I did not want to be with them!

I held my stomach, for it was beginning to hurt, and my gut was telling me that my parents had not changed their principles about me either.

"We are so glad that you are home," Dad said. "Your mom and I were worried sick."

I finally spoke. "How...how did I get here?"

"Why, your future husband brought you home," Mom explained, rubbing my forehead with her hand. "Those mean wolves were attacking you, so he tried to shoot them, but accidentally shot you instead."

"He lied!" I screamed. "Those wolves are my friends! My real family!"

Dad chuckled and patted the top of my head. "We are your real family, Maria. And we will make sure that you never go in those woods again."