Chapter Three

I was lying on my side and curled in a ball. I coughed loudly, for there was apparently dirt in my mouth, and opened my eyes.

And what was staring back with me were wolf eyes.

I gasped and instantly sat up. Make no mistake. It was a wolf. A real wolf.

The wolf was brown and furry. He was a pretty good size. He had sharp claws and teeth, and his scary eyes glowed yellow. I knew about these wolves. My parents told me all about them.

There was a tribe of wolves that resided in the woods, and those were called Wolflets. They are unlike any other group of wolves that you have heard of or might have encountered. Wolflets love humans.

Love them to death.

Wolflets eat nothing but human flesh and are dangerous. They show no mercy to any other species. They kill and eat the humans and murder trespassers, like a rabbit or squirrel.

That was the main reason why I was forced to stay inside the castle most of the time. Some Wolflets actually leave the comfort of the woods and wander around town, stalking their prey.

Even though that I was completely petrified, I was also puzzled. My dad reassured me that his brave knights killed every wolf. None were spared.

Now that I think about it, no knights returned that day.

Oh, no.

I scooted away from the wolf, kicking my feet against the dirt ground. "S-stay away from me. You—" My back hit something, and I turned my head to find out what it was.

A tree. The trunk of a tree.

I turned my attention back to the wolf and hugged myself, wrapping my arms around my legs. "I am dead meat," I said under my breath. "I am about to become its dinner for the night."

I let out a shrill scream as the wolf pounced on me and...licked me.

Yes. It was licking me. Licking with its soft, pink tongue on my cheek. And it tickled.

I could not contain myself and burst out laughing. "Hey!" I said. "That tickles!"

The wolf stopped and took a step back. He lowered his head and whimpered.

Then what occurred next blew me away.

"My apologies," he spoke. "I am just so happy to see you."

Did not expect that, right?

I could not move. It was as if I had been frozen in place. And I probably would have fainted to if I was not so excited. I had been waiting for an animal to speak to me, and my dream came true.

"You...you can talk," I finally said something.

"Of course I can," the wolf replied clearly. "I have been learning English for a long time. Why, I was a just a tiny wolf when I said my first word."

I began a conversation with him as if there was nothing strange chatting with a talking wolf. I thought that it was the greatest thing in the world. "What was your first word?"

"It was the word 'bird.' Long story there."

My eyes beamed with excitement. "Oh my gosh. That was my first word too."

"You are kidding me."

"Nope. I believe that it was because birds are my favorite animal."

"Nice. I learned that word from chasing little birds."

"You were chasing birds?"

"Yes. But I swear that I did not eat any or plan on it. I am on a strict diet."

I crossed my arms. "And what diet would that be?"

"The diet with no humans or living animals. I do eat meat because my tribe cannot be vegetarians, but only steaks, ham, and other varieties."

"Oh. I get it." I rubbed my belly. "Meat is good for you. Speaking of which, I am hungry."

"Me too." He licked his lips. "Come on. You can have dinner with me and my tribe."

"With other wolves? I do not know..."

"Please? We have excellent food. Tonight, we are having roast beef with a salad. Did I mention that we have a few cooks?"

I was hesitant. Maybe he was not a Wolflet. Or maybe he was. Maybe he was just lying to me and pretending to be nice to me so that he and his tribe could eat me.

"Do you...eat humans?" I asked.

"Gosh, no. Yuck! Why would we? We are not evil creatures."

Was that another lie? I was not sure.

I wanted to leave him and the woods and make my way back to the castle. But I was so tired. So hungry. My stomach was growling loudly.

"Let us get some food in you," the wolf suggested. "Oh, and by the way..." He walked off, but not far, and returned with something in his mouth. My stuffed bear. "I believe that this is yours."

My teddy bear was in perfect condition, and I gently took it out of his mouth. "You...you did not rip it up?"

"Not a scratch." He placed on a paw on my bear's belly. "I would never ruin anybody's property."

Such respect. He has more respect than most real worlders.

He led me deeper and deeper into the woods, and I hugged my teddy bear, feeling butterflies in my stomach.

Was this a bad idea? Had I made the wrong decision?

We soon reached a tall and wide cave, and there were two giant rocks, one on each side of the cave. Wolves who resembled the wolf whom I had met with the exception of size were scattered in front of the cave. Some were lying on their stomachs and on the grass, and others were perched on the rocks. When the wolf and I saw them, they spotted us. Spotted me.

"Stay here," the wolf ordered me. "By the way, my name is Triste." He hurried off and into the cave.

I stood where I was, feeling nervous.

That was when three big wolves got up and ran and lunged at me.