Chapter Twenty-Six

I cupped my hands around my mouth and called to the person who was lying on top of the bones. "Hey!"

It was easy to identify whether this person, which was a boy, was alive or not. For one thing, his stomach was going up and down. Up and down. He was on his back, and his eyes were shut tight.

He must have heard me loud and clear because his whole body jumped up from the bones, and he screamed like a little girl.

"Yah!" The boy rolled down the hill of skeletons and landed on the path. "Oof!"

"Oh my gosh," I said. I scurried up to him and helped him up. "Sorry that I gave you a scare. I just wanted to know why you were on the huge pile of bones and if you are alright." I dusted off his clothes for him.

"Oh..." He rubbed the side of his head. "...did someone want me?"

"Like I said, I desire to know why you are here and if you are feeling like yourself."

He glanced at me. "Now that I have a splitting headache, no. I am not well."

"Again, sorry. And I understand your pain. I hate headaches. As a matter of fact, I had one earlier, but thankfully, it did not last long."

"Why did you wake me up like that? You nearly gave me a panic attack!"

"Do you not mean a heart attack?"

"No. A panic attack. It would be the millionth one."

"...uh, are you exaggerating?"

"Me? I would not never exaggerate! Do you not know who I am?"

"I am afraid not. When you have been stuck in and around the castle and living in the woods with animals for most of your life, you hardly have any humans friends, especially if they are around your age."

"Oh. You too, huh?"

"Hmm? Whatever do you mean?"

"Do your parents think that you are a mistake, Miss...?"

"My name is Maria. You can call me that. And yes. I unfortunately have the pleasure of having parents that do not care for my well-being."

"Really? Me too! My name is Caleb Night by the way."

"Nice to meet you, Caleb. I bet that your parents are nothing like mine."

"Oh, but they are. They think that I am a mistake and abandoned me when I was young."

I covered my mouth with my hand. "That is terrible."

"Why would they do that?" Tabceo asked. "Other than them being cruel and selfish."

"They were not always like that towards me. They loved me no matter what. Except...when I had health conditions that cannot be cured with just one way. When...when I was diagnosed with severe anxiety disorder...they...they gave up on me."