I've Just Seen a Face

"Damn. I felt like a pervert getting these." Ang scratched the back of his head when he handed me a duffle bag. He and James went out before the day break, and came back before noon with the supplies they talked about last night. "Anyway, these are what we assume you'll need?"

  I opened the bag, and had to stop myself from hugging Ang. They got everything I needed. They even got me tampons.

  Thank you. I hastily scribbled on the notebook and showed him. He smiled and shook. "Don't mention it. It was nothing."

  From the corner of my eyes, I saw James wrinkled his nose. I showed him the same page, and he pressed his lips.

  "If you want to thank us, make yourself useful. I'll appreciate it." He said as he turned away and headed for the other side of the room.

  "Don't take it personal." Ang said, a hand on my shoulder. "James is...less sociable with strangers." I nodded. I was actually glad that he was even talking to me. If the situation was reversed, I couldn't say that I would be as generous.

  "Lunch is ready!" Drew said as he lifted a pot from the stove and put it on the floor in the middle of the room.

  "Boil potatoes. Yum." Ang said in the driest tone imaginable that made me laughed a little, silently of course.

  "You're welcome to take over if you think you can do better." Drew said as he took two potatoes out from the pot and handed me one.

  I took a bite, and felt a crunch. Even though it was not cooked through, and was not salted at all, I still half-swallowed the entire thing. It felt like the most delicious thing I had ever eaten in my life.

  "Dude, it's raw in the middle." Ang complained.

  "It tasted fine for me," Drew said. "and Sheena thinks so, too." He tilted his head at me as I reached into the pot for another one. I turned to get my pen and notebook to write.

  Maybe I should cook dinner. I showed them. Ang laughed so hard that he rolled on the ground. Drew stopped for a second, and laughed, too.

  After lunch, I found out that as it turned out, there weren't much to do here, so I took the chance and asked them some questions.

  They were in Philly for a raid, but when they were there, Ang got a tip-off from the device he once stole from a PSF—a tablet that held the database for Psi kids that were registered and notified its user whenever someone report a new lead to a Psi—that there was someone hiding a Blue named Liam Stewart in a nearby apartment. They immediately decided to try and help the boy, but when they were getting ready, I showed up, followed by the PSFs and the rest of the armed force.

  They explained to me that they had been doing the same thing for a while now, basically whenever they could, and had managed to help 5 kids, not including me, but all of those were sent back to their families. I am the first to stay. It was amazing how they not only survived in the outside world on their own, but also managed to help others. When I was still out here, if Mr. and Mrs. Sanders hadn't taken me in, I would've been hauled in much sooner.

  Although as it turned out, the people that helped me the most had also become the key to my captured. But that is a story for another day.

  The boys also showed me that very report of Liam Stewart. I took a look at his picture, and I froze.

  He looked exactly like Stewart—if Stewart is a handful of years younger, and morbidly malnourished.

  Ang noticed that I was acting odd, and asked, "Have you seen him before?"