To Get You into My Life

I still couldn't believe that I was actually here.

  The shadow of this building still haunted me in my dreams. Its pure white outer wall shining under the moon, windows lit by florescent lights in the midnight when I escaped. And now I was back here. I must be mad.

  I guess I don't know much about madness, but I'd prefer to call it a compulsion, or a drive.

  I had to see him again.

  The building looked exactly like how it was the night I saw it from the outside for the first and the last time. It itself wasn't marked, but there was a sculpture of a golden swan on its front porch. Leda Corp. The queen who was seduced by Zeus, now named the institution that screws us all.

  I was waiting in the shadow of a tree across the street. I could only hope that he wasn't driving, or that his car wasn't parked inside the building's basement. Does it even have a basement? How ironic that I had never step a foot outside of there for almost three years, yet I had no idea what were in it besides my ward and the surgery rooms. Does he even still work here? There were too many possibilities, but I only had this one lead. If this turned out to be a dead end, then I...I didn't want to think about that, not yet.

  The temperature in early November nights weren't really all that cold, but I was shivering all the same. Since the night of my escape, I had only been wearing a T-shirt and a pair of baggy jeans so big that I had to use a rope to bind it so it won't fall off my hip. Also, a scarf to cover my face. But at least I wasn't bald anymore; I had grown my hair back. I finally looked remotely like a normal girl since I was first taken into Leda Corp.

  I could see everyone that came out of that building from the front door, and every time the door opened, my heart stopped a little. But none of them was him.

  Until now.

  He looked exactly the same. Same short, blond hair, same sharp cheekbones, same smile. He pushed the door open, a grin still hung on his face from what I assumed was the conversation he had with the guard. As soon as his face turned towards the street, the smile disappeared. He walked down to the brick sidewalk, pulled up the collar on his jacket, and headed west.

  For all the talk I had with myself to prepare me for this moment, I froze at the sight of him. As he walked on, my body woke up to the situation. I am going to lose him if I don't catch up.

  I jumped out from the shadow and startled an old lady passing by. "Jesus! You scared the life out of me!" She complained. I wanted to apologize, but I physically couldn't. I hadn't been able to speak a word or make a sound since the surgeries I had had in that building across the street.

  No, not surgeries. Surgeries are treatments. Those weren't there to treat me of my problems. Those were...experiments.

  I made a bow to her, and rushed along the sidewalk, eyes still on his back. "...not even an apology. Young people these days..." I heard her murmured. I hoped she couldn't tell just exactly how young I was. Too young to be on the street, to be precise.

  He took a turn right two blocks later, and I followed him. I hadn't notice the rain until now, but there wasn't much I could do about it. I didn't even own a jacket, let alone an umbrella or a raincoat. We walked towards what seemed like the less busy part of Philadelphia, where buildings grew shorter and shorter, and the colors of lights disappeared one at a time, until there were only the yellowish glow of streetlights, with the tainted aura of rainbow around each of them created by the rain. I kept to the dark side of the street and kept a safe distance, not because I didn't want him to see me, but because I didn't want anyone else seeing me following him. I didn't want to get him in trouble. I planned on waiting till we get to a place where no one was around, then talk to him.