Good Night

After about an hour in total silence, I finally couldn't stand it, so I turned on the radio. What came out of it wasn't what I expected.

  "—a statement has been made by The New Moon Union, allegedly the former Children's League. It claims that as of this very moment, a rescue mission is happening in Thurmond Rehabilitation Camp in West Virginia." Cole sat up in alarm, face still stone-cold, "The statement claimed that they are freeing all the children inside this camp, and provided a list of names that were supposed to be the children held up in there—"

  I couldn't read his expression, only hear the engine roared louder as we speeded up.

  We pushed forward for another four hours, until I suddenly remembered that I needed to check on his condition. I reached out to touch him on the wrist, and found that, unsurprisingly, he was in dire need to rest.

  "Stop the car." I announced.

  "No." He snapped, cold. He didn't even bother to ask why. I couldn't help but admire his determination a little.

  "You need to rest." I said. "Doctor's order."

  "No." He ignored me, and stepped on the pedal even harder.

  I sighed. How am I going to stop him from driving? I could easily force him to let go of the pedal and made him pass out, but I didn't want to do that.

  I guessed there was only one way to do this: through persuasion. "I'll drive." I said. "You really need to rest. If you don't, you won't make it to West Virginia. At least not consciously."

  "Can you drive?" He said.

  Yeah, about that... "I get the basic." I said, trying not to think of what happened the last and only time I drove.

  "'The basic' is not gonna cut it." He countered, looking at me in disbelief. "Are you telling me that you've never driven before?"

  I hesitated a little before answering. "No." Well, that was the truth, strictly speaking, but I regret it immediately. Sharing my first driving experience with him wasn't likely going to add to my credibility. "I've driven...once."

  He rolled his eyes, and only drove faster. A minute later, he said, "Wait, if that's so, why would the boys let you come with me alone? They expect you to get back on your own, right?"

  "Ang is more...relaxed on some aspects of things." I said.

  He threw me an exasperated look, and sighed. "Forget it. Let's make camp for the night. We gotta rest at some point anyway."

  He drove off the highway at a rest area, and parked in the very last spot in the parking lot. The moment the car stopped, he lowered the back of his seat and lay back.

  "You could take the backseat if you want to. Good night." He said, and closed his eyes. Before I could say anything, I realized he was already asleep.

  That was fast. I was astonished. I couldn't even tell him that we could fold the backseat so we could at least both lay down, or that there were blankets in the trunk.

  I took the cell phone out from the cup holder where Cole left it earlier, and climbed out of the car to call the Deck. It was picked up on the first ring.

  "Sheena?" It was Ang.

  "Yes, I call to let you know we're fine, but something came up, and we're heading to West Virginia now." I went on to try my best and fill him in on the situation regarding the Thurmond Liberation. "...Anyway, we camp at a place call Valmy for the night."