Till There was You

I could remember every detail of the day I met him.

  When I woke up that day, it was exactly the same as every other day in the ward. Or, the cell. The light was dim; they hadn't turn on the light in my ward yet, and it was lit only by scattered sunlight in the hallway that came through the glass wall right in front of me. It was a...minimalistic room, with nothing but three white walls, a glass one with a door on it, a white ceiling above, a gray floor beneath, a bed, a nightstand, a fluorescent light, and a security camera, which was pointing at my bed.

  I was bound to the bed with leather restraints. Since the first week I got here, they had been restricted me to my bed almost 24/7, except for when they want to do experiments on me and the bathroom breaks thrice a day. I supposed it has something to do with me passing out in the first week—I was so frightened that I black out, and woke up in this bed, all limbs secured to the bed-frame.

  The 1067th day. I had guards in front of my cell all day, every day, even when I sleep, so they were always the first person I saw when I woke up. It was the grumpy fat guy today, who I nicknamed Shrek. Almost every time I looked at one of them, I would catch them moving their eyes away really quickly.

  There was nothing to do in here, so I daydream. It's like telling stories, only that the only audience is me. I was afraid if I don't use my words, I'll forget them eventually—and not just forgetting how to speak them, which I fear I already do, but truly forget them, and become a Neanderthal or something.

  I always think of something in another world, like that in Lord of the Rings or in Star Wars. Imagining something set in this universe drove a little too close to home, and I couldn't bear the thought of the future I'll probably never have.

  Where was I last night? Oh right. Areia Quasar just lost her lightsaber, and had to remake one from scratch. She went to mine the crystals, but in the Crystal Cave of Dantooine, she met a mysterious man—

  The light was turn on, filling my ward with the harsh white florescent light. I know in exactly five seconds, one of the lab techs is coming in to take my blood sample.

  And that day, it was him.

  He was wearing a lab coat when he walked in, like most of the people here. He looked very young, so young that I wonder how he got this job. Unlike the rest of the people, however, his coat didn't have a name tag on it. He must be new.

  He had blue eyes; in this lighting, they weren't the color of a clear sky like blue eyes usually were—they were the color of ocean. The blue took me out of my body, and into a distant memory. I remembered looking down on the sea waves from a cliff one time when I was little. The water was so blue, but also changing shades violently at the same time, like it was boiling under the surface. I was terrified because I felt like it was calling me.

  No, not just calling. It was luring, daring me to jump, hundreds of feet into the abyss just to embrace that blue.

  I squirmed a little when he entered, and he noticed. Something flashed in his eyes and disappeared as quickly as it appeared; something I hadn't seen in a long while—sadness.

  "I'm just here to take your blood sample." He said as he lay the tray of syringes on my nightstand. "I won't..." He cut himself off. "...Never mind."

  Why does he feel the need to explain himself to me? I watched him unwrapped the venipuncture needle with shaky hands.

  "Shit!" His hands were shaking so violently that he poked a hole on his finger. A deep one. Blood started to pool and stream down his finger, staining the rubber glove on his hand. He took it off quickly, and used the gauze on the tray to press on the wound.