We Can Work It Out

After we made sure the coast was clear, we put Cole's body in a body bag and carried him out on a stretcher.

  It started raining outside. Ang, in a janitor's uniform, carried the stretch and took the lead, I walked beside him; James carried the other side of the stretch as Drew brought up the rear.

  I was a little surprised by how well this plan had worked out so far—no one batted an eye on us as we walked out. We crossed the spot where Cole was shot earlier, and the blood on the cement ground had been washed into a huge dark red pool. When we reached the gate, a PSF came out of the booth and stopped us.

  "What's your business here?" The PSF demanded.

  "Isn't it obvious?" Ang snorted. I could tell he was trying to hide the tremor. "We gotta get rid of this body. It was one of the intruders earlier."

  "Let me see." The PSF ordered.

  Ang shot me a thoughtful glance, and I opened up the body bag. As the PSF looked on, I managed to stop Cole's breaths again.

  "All clear." The PSF waved us pass.

  We walked on. One hundred yards from the woods. Eighty yards. I had to fight the urge to turn around. The air came out of me in a low vibration. We walked in absolute silence.

  "Hey! Where are you going? The dumpster is that way!" The PSF shouted at our backs. Drew turned around, and sent the PSF flying backward until he hit a wall.

  "Run!" Drew bellowed, and we took off like flying.

  We ran and ran in the woods, until we hit a house on the other edge of the forest. I wasn't sure how long had we been running. Must be miles. Every part of my body was exhausted and hurting, and even my ability can't make the pain stop. We leaned against the side of the garage, panting, hoping the PSFs won't find us.

  "We got to get a car." Drew said under his breaths. Ang and James exchanged a look, and James went on to open the garage door. We snuck inside.

  James and I pulled Cole out of the body bag. Just as Drew was trying to pry the pickup truck's door open, the light in the garage was turned on.

  Fuck. The four of us looked at the backdoor of the garage in horror as a woman walked in and stared at us, a gun in her hand.

  When she opened her mouth, what came out was the last thing I expected. "Come in here, quick." The woman hold the door open for us, and close it behind us as we walked into the warm glow of the house. She led us to the living room and draw the curtain close.

  "What happened to him?" She asked as she motioned for Drew and Ang to put Cole on the couch.

  "He was injured and passed out." I said briefly. I don't think telling her what we've been through is a good idea.

  The woman's eyes widened. "Do you need anything? Gauze? Antiseptic?" Her voice was so filled with concern that almost made me cried. When was the last time I had seen this kind of kindness from an adult?

  From Cole. My own voice in my head answered me.

  "No, but thank you." I replied.

  I teared open Cole's shirt to check his wounds, and I heard the woman gasped. Except for the wound on the neck, there were also one on his chest, and one on his lower stomach. The bleeding had stopped, and the spine was miraculously intact, so those were good news. Punctured throat, lung and small intestine. Three broken ribs.