Please Please Me

I couldn't remember how I got back to the Deck. The only thing I could be sure of was that I didn't cry, surprisingly.

  But I did the moment I saw James' face. He saw my expression when I walked out of the elevator, and opened his arms. I plunged myself in them and cried my heart out.

  He didn't ask me what happened. Neither did Ang nor Drew. The two of them just left me there with James. They also shooed away Percy and Yvonne, who could be less sensitive sometimes.

  I wasn't sure how long I had been crying until I finally thought I could speak a coherent sentence.

  "I don't belong there..." I said, and James' expression told me that he had known. "He's back to his life , and I don't belong there..." the words caught up in my throat, and I gasped a little, which led to more tears.

  "It's okay...It's going to be okay..." James patted me on my back, and repeated the same few words over and over again.

  Eventually, I thought I had cried enough. "You know, you are really bad at consoling." A choked laugh came through my tears.

  "I know. What do you expect?" He snorted.

  "Thank you, anyway." I smiled, and he returned it.

  After a moment of silence, he frowned and said. "You know what? Come to think of it, I was wrong about him." He sighed. "I guess he did save you out of the kindness of his heart, despite his working for the League."

  I stayed silent for a moment. "Yeah. He did." The thought hurt me a little.

  "Anyway, now that you're back, there's stuff we need to sort out." Seeing that I was feeling better, he moved on to the next topic.

  "What stuff?" I asked as I wiped the tears off my face.

  "The situation had changed, so we figured the kids should get to choose if they want to stay or not." He said, "But the three of us agree that we should ask them after you come back."

  So many goodbyes in such a short time. I sighed. "Thanks for waiting for me."

  "I'll go get the kids." He said. "It's about time for dinner."

  So we settled the matter over the dining table. Long story short, none of the kids wanted to leave. I wouldn't if I were them, either. Most of their families were abusive, so staying here would likely beat the prospect of going back home.

  I don't want to go, either. Even if I can, even if I get to go back to Japan and to my family—which, I'm sure there was some kind of law being made right this moment, banning Psi from going abroad—I don't want to. My family is here now.

  James and Ang both have families to go back to, though. James decided that he would head home for a visit once things were more settled down—as for when that was, he didn't say. Ang was considering asking his father to stay with us, since there were no one except him at home.

  After dinner, James pulled me to the side, "There's something else I need you to help me with."

  "What?" I couldn't think of a thing we hadn't sorted out yet.

  "As you might have noticed, Ang is weird, since we came back from Sawtooth."

  I actually didn't notice until today. I was so caught up with Cole that I managed to miss the mental distance Ang had pulled between himself and us. How did I miss that? He had been shutting himself off, and it is such a typical thing that he does when he isn't happy, and he doesn't want us to see.