Do You Want to Know a Secret?

By the time I woke up, the sun was already down. An instance of panic hit me for I thought I was back in my ward in Leda Corp, until I saw the stars through the sunroof above.

  I'm not in the nothingness. I'm out, and alive.

  I finally registered my surroundings, and realized that I was laying on my back in the backseats of the car. It wasn't moving. The door by my feet was opened.

  I sat up, and saw the boys staring back at me. They sat beside a bonfire on the cobble stone ground. They were smiling. Even James.

  "Oh, you're up." Ang said in a bright tone. "We saved you some...water. Sorry there's no food."

  He spoke like nothing had happened. Like I hadn't lied to them for the past three weeks. Like I hadn't put all their lives in danger.

  Tears formed in beads that fell down my cheeks, then they became streams. Once the valve was opened, it was so hard to turn it back off. Before I could help it, I was already crying my heart out in front of them. They've seen it before; I guess there was no longer anything left to be embarrassed about.

  Ang shot up from where he was sitting, and offered me a hand.

  "Sheena, would you like to come out?" He said. "It's okay."

  I nodded, but couldn't move. Eventually, he had to lean in and half-carry me out of the car.

  I sat beside the fire, Ang to my left and Drew to my right, finally able to catch my breaths.

  "It's okay, Sheena. We understand." Drew said.

  But do you? How? I shook my head violently.

  "But we do." Ang said with the most tender expression I had ever seen him wearing. "You're different, right? That's why you didn't tell us who you are. We don't blame you." 

  I nodded, and he gave me a smile. James' face had turned into a deep frown.

  "If anything, I want thank you. I mean, my ass would've been smoked—" Drew said, but I didn't catch what followed in his sentence because my ears were ringing with blood rushing through them.

  Ang handed me my notebook, and I wrote on it.

            Why are you so nice to me? It was the only question I could think of, even though it didn't make much sense asking it.

  The boys stared at the question, and at each other. "Because we are not them." James was the one to answer it. He said it in a tone so flat, as if he was stating something as simple as a common knowledge to him. "We are not going to hurt you just because you are different."

  And the answer brought even more tears out of me.

  "Hey, uh, if you don't mind me asking, what color are you?" Drew asked carefully. "Cuz' you sure as hell weren't green..."

  I wrote on the note again, trying to keep my tears from drenching the paper.

            I am Purple.

  "And what can Purples do?" Ang asked.

  It was hard to catch my breaths, but I did as best as I could so my hands wouldn't shake so badly that my writing became unintelligible.

  I don't know about others. As far as I know, I'm the only one. I could heal myself and control my bodily functions, but I had never healed anyone so severely injured before Drew.

  "Well, that explained...things." James cocked his head and said.

  "Only one?" Drew asked, "How did they put you in camp, then? Were you just alone the whole time?"