I Want to Hold Your Hand

I woke up from a dreamless sleep when we crossed the state line of Wyoming and into Nebraska. Cole switched the radio from Hank Williams to a news station.

  "—many were surprised that President Gray hadn't released a statement regarding the recent liberation of the Thurmond Camp; resource suggests that President Gray had fled the country; we had reached out to the former White House secretary, Mr. Watson, who refused to comment on the matter—"

  Served him right, I guess. Although it was definitely too easy for him. Cole let out a snort and switched to another station.

  "—According to the documents released by Amplify, this girl, Ruby Daly, is the hero behind all these. It is not an overstatement to say that she single-handedly brought down the Gray administration..."

  Cole sat up a little. Hearing the name made him uneasy. Ruby Daly. If she was behind the Thurmond Liberation, she must be someone Cole worked with.

  "Who's Gem?" I finally decide to ask.

  Cole turned to stare at me, stunned. "Where did you hear that?" He demanded.

  "From you." I said. "You talk when you sleep."

  He closed his eyes for a second, and turned back to face the road. "That's her. Ruby Daly. She is my friend; we planned the Thurmond hit together, and we basically ran the Ranch together."

  So I was right. But something in my chest still felt weird, and I didn't know why.

  "She sounds like quite a person." I commented.

  "She is." He confirmed without hesitation. The odd feeling expanded, and I could finally see what it was. Bitterness.

  But of what? What on earth would I have to be bitter about?

  Maybe I was jealous of the fact that she got to fight alongside him, when I was still struggling to find him. I was upset about the life I could've had. That sounds about right. I settled on this reason.

  "She is Lee's girlfriend." He added, "Which is funny, since she could very well become one of the most efficient agents I've seen, almost as good as me, and Lee, well, couldn't even take a step without stopping to see if he would kill an ant or something."

  Somehow, those words eased the tightness in my chest a little.

  "What's Liam like?" I asked. Our discussion last night covered the topic of Liam joining and leaving the League, but only briefly.

  "Soft." He said. "Nothing like me, or our dad. Sometimes, I would be angry at him for being weak, but kids in the Ranch love him," He sighed, "I'd hate to admit, but they probably like him more than they do me."

  I like you alright. I wanted to say, but decided against it. "Do you think I'm soft?" I ended up asking.

  "No, of course not." He answered immediately. "Well. You're strong, just...in your own way, I guess."

  "Maybe it's the same for Liam." I said. "He must have his strength. I don't see how a boy that could lead a camp break being nothing but soft." I thought about Drew. He might not be able to set something to blaze or electrify someone, but he is our shield.

  Cole shrugged at my words. "Anyway, you'll get to know them when we reach West Virginia tomorrow." He concluded.

  I bit my lips. I don't think so. I might get to meet them, but getting to know them is an entirely different matter.