Golden Slumber

"Carlos went out about ten days ago for a 'trip', and hadn't come back since." The oldest girl—introduced herself as Emma—explained to us. We each were given a glass of water and sat down beside the dining table. "He usually never stayed out overnight."

  "Did he say where he was going?" Ang asked.

  "No." Emma replied. "He had never told us anything about his trips, but he had just come back from a supply trip, so I figured that this one must be for an extraction."

  "Extraction?" I asked.

  "He sometimes go out to save Psi kids from skip tracers or PSFs. We're all saved by him." The bean-pole boy, Sean, said.

  "Oh. That was exactly what we had been doing before." Drew said. "We could help."

  "Yeah, but in case you didn't notice, he isn't here." Yvonne, the last one of the older kids, retorted.

  "We could still help you." James said. "At least until Carlos come back."

  Emma frowned, and exchanged a look with Sean and Yvonne. "We could use some help in getting supplies. We're running low on many things."

  Ang cocked his head, and said, "Well, then. Shall we say midnight, Drew?"

  Drew shrugged. "Yeah. Sounds okay."

  Emma looked at them in surprise. "That's it? You don't need to prepare anything?"

  Drew shot Ang a knowing look, the kind that they had when they were set on something, and turned back to face Emma. "We had done this more times than I can count; we'll get it done."

  Emma actually looked like she could cry. "Okay. I'll show you the inventory, so you'd know what to get." She lay the gun on the table, which, I realized just now, had no magazine.

  "Wait." I pointed to the gun. "You were bluffing?"

  "Yeah." Emma grinned. "We ran out of bullets, and we had to get down there in a pretty short notice."

  "Did you know?" James glared at Ang.

  "Yeah." Ang grinned. "I saw it downstairs when she was binding me."

  Emma's face went white a little, but it was nothing comparing to James' reaction.

  "I could kill you!" James cried, face red. "I was this close to—Ahhh!" He was so vexed that he didn't finish his thoughts, but we all got the idea. I was kind of surprise that no sparks came out from his hair. Guess he really did have his ability under control.

  "C'mon, James. Don't be mad." Ang bit his lip, and gave James a pleading look.

  Oh, this is so out of line. I couldn't believe he pulled this on James.

  And of course, James ate it right up. "Fine." James still sounded angry, even though his eyes definitely didn't look like it. Drew threw me a meaningful look, which was all I needed to know that, apparently, James' crush on Ang had become an open secret in our small pack.

  I offered to cook after I saw how Emma had struggled to put up a meal for all of us. After dinner, Ang and Drew went out for the hit, taking Emma and Sean with them, and Yvonne showed James and I to our rooms. We got a tour of this place—the penthouse suite of El Dorado took up the entire top floor, with six rooms surrounding a living room, a kitchen, a dining room, and a wine cellar, which function as the pantry at the moment. The largest room of all belongs to Carlos, and the kids had a silent agreement that they don't touch his stuff. The girls stayed in one room, the boys another. I figured I could stay with the girls, but Yvonne showed me to an empty one, so I guess I'll be having it all to myself.