Chapter 20

I store at Shawn in shock. So many questions were running through my mind. What is he doing here? How did he find me? Isn't he on tour?

"H-hey Shawn" I greeted and I bit my lips. Way to go Rain, nice job.

"You look nice" he complimented and I smiled at him.

"Thanks, I just came back from my brothers wedding" I responded and he nodded. We fell into an awkward silence.

"Well, I better go. I have to be up early tomorrow morning" I stated and Shawn nodded. I walked into my apartment and closed the door. I put my stuff down and took my shoes off. How did he find me?

^^^^

I was eating a salad at one am when someone knocked on my door. I sighed and put the sweatshirt that was closest to me on. It was a jersey but it didn't matter. I opened the door and saw Shawn.

"Rain, I'm so sorry but-hey isn't that my jersey?" he asked and I looked at him in shock. This is embarassing.

"Yeah, come in" I answered and I stepped out of the way. He was wearing a random shirt and sweatpants. I closed my door and furrowed my eyebrows.

"How did you find me?" I asked and he sighed.

"I saw you moving in last week, I was going to say hi but I decided not to. I live a couple doors down" he answered and I nodded. It was quiet for a little while. It's been a long three years and we have both changed so much.

"So, your face is everywhere" Shawn stated and I giggled.

"Yeah, it really makes the world look hotter" I responded and Shawn rolled his eyes. Shawn sat down on the couch.

"It makes the world look brighter, with that smile. God, that smile" he muttered. I felt like he didn't want me to hear that but I heard it anyway. I sat down on the couch and crossed my legs.

"I've missed you" I admitted and he looked up at me. I was expecting him not to miss me back but his next sentence shocked me.

"I missed you more" he stated and I felt my cheeks warm up. I put my salad down and grabbed a pillow. I hugged it close to my chest.

"So, what have you been up to? Relationship wise" Shawn asked and I sighed.

"I went through my ninth break up recently" I answered and Shawn furrowed his eyebrows.

"Well, I'm sorry to heart that" he muttered and I rolled my eyes.

"Trust me, they were all rebounds" I admitted and Shawn looked at me in confusion.

"For who?" He asked and I looked at him.

"You" I answered without missing a beat. Might as well shoot my shot while I have the chance.

"Wow, I mean I haven't dated at all because I wanted to date you" he responded as his cheeks got red. My cheeks heated up a little and I bit my lip. What do I do now? I was in shock that he felt the same way, especially after three years apart.

"I wrote If I Can't Have You for you. I mean I kept the chorus but I changed most of it" Shawn explained and I nodded.

"I've figured that out for myself but I appreciate it" I responded. No, I don't appreciate it. I've been addicted to it since it came out.

"Thanks" Shawn muttered. It was quiet again but it wasn't awkward it was more comfortable.

"What was your favorite memory of us together?" Shawn asked and I shrugged.

"When we slow danced in the gazebo on the date Andrew made us go on" I answered and he nodded. Then he got up and for a minute, I thought he was going to leave. Shawn held his hand out to me and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"May I have this dance Ms. Porter?" he asked.

"Of course Mr. Mendes" I answered as I grabbed his hand. He pulled me out of my seat and I grabbed the tv remote and switched it to the channel that has slow music.

Shawn put his hands on my waist and I wrapped my arms around his neck. We swayed back and forth and then took little steps. He twirled me making me smile and then I twirled him. It didn't work very well since he's a giraffe and I'm a lion. Shawn and I laughed and then went back to swaying back and forth.

"What was your favorite memory?" I asked and he sighed.

"There's so much to choose from" he whispered and then he smirked.

"The time when we were on the tour bus and I recorded us making out. You're a really good kisser by the way" he answered and I nodded.

"Thanks, I guess" I muttered and we laughed. The only thing making noise for a while was the slow music playing from the tv.

I looked into Shawn's eyes and he smiled at me. We put our foreheads together and I closed my eyes. I only hoped he had his eyes closed. We rubbed noses and then he slowly leaned in and kissed me. It was slow but it was short and sweet. His lips were perfect. He's a good kisser and I've never noticed before. This kiss wasn't fake it was my first real one with Shawn.

"Sorry" Shawn apologized as he pulled away. I opened my eyes and furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"Don't say sorry, that was perfect" I said and he sighed.

"Are you sure? I was in the moment and I felt like kissing you and now I feel like I was being pushy" he responded and I sighed and kissed his cheek.

"I'm sure" I stated and he nodded. We sat down on the couch in silence. Neither one of us knew what to say.

"Do you want to do it again?" Shawn asked and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Do what again?" I wondered and he sighed.

"Date again but for real this time. No contracts, no managers, no fake proposals, no media, no nothing. Like, date for the sake of us" Shawn explained and I sighed. I want to say yes so bad.

"Shawn, I don't know if it's the best idea" I admitted and he sighed.

"Rain, look at me" Shawn said and I looked at him "we don't have to tell anyone we're dating. Let's just test drive it."

"What to do you mean?" I asked and he sighed.

"Let's date for a month and then see if we want to keep going or end it" he answered and I nodded.

"Yeah, I guess that could work" I said and he smiled. I felt myself smile and I looked at him. I have him now and I'm never letting go. God, I missed him so much.