The New SPK

"That went very well Near." Ruvie complimented the plan. "It went good actually." Near responds. He continues to stare at the monitors as he observes Ryuk's movements. He's unable see or hear Kira but he can see Ryuk.

He watches Ryuk exit the room and proceed to the gate entrance. He picks up the phone and calls somebody to meet him at the hotel room he's in, while he continues to monitor Ryuk. When Ryuk is no longer in view of his set up cameras he ends the live feed and he takes out a tape from the monitors.

He calls three people and speaks in minimal context, almost in code words actually. After he hangs up, he asks Ruvie to buy him another toy soldier. "Yes sir." Ruvie responds immediately. He exits the room, leaving Near alone.

Near's thought process

"Ryuk wouldn't be doing this alone, so it has to be Light. Since I couldn't see Kira, he must be a different shinigami who has a brand new death note, or he is Light and he might've prepared himself a death note prior to his death. Does Kira have a death note we know of, or is this a new death note? Too bad some idiot lost a death note we had during the investigation. Now we only have one death note. Kira might've gotten the one that we lost. Once everyone's here, we need to execute emergency operation K. How do we kill shinigami?"

Later that day, three strangers entered the hotel entrance. Ruvie was waiting for them. When they arrived, Ruvie escorted them to hotel room number 13. When they arrived, Near was sitting on the ground with toys all over the floor. The toys encircled him as if he was barricaded from the world.

"Welcome, please leave any electronic or metallic devices over in that box." All of the three strangers left their phones, pagers, and random coins in the box. "Thank you, please follow me into the next room here." Near softly spoke. He picked up all of the toys on the ground and carried them over into the next room. The strangers followed him.

The adjacent room had a completely different aesthetic than the previous room. This one was filled with stacks of paper that stacked up all the way to the ceiling. Tons of toys were also scattered all over the ground, just like the last one. Well, at least he picked up his toys in the first room. On the main desk, there was a microphone and a stack of monitors on top of each other in columns. The desk looked like it had enough of it. It appeared as if it was about to break at any moment, luckily it didn't.

"Please sit down." He gestured to the large sofa. Near sat on the ground with his toys and bit his thumb, as if he was waiting for something. "Thank you all for coming. I am Near. I asked you three to come because I selected you three gifted souls to help me with a certain investigation. Now, you can choose to either leave right now or you can stay and help me solve this case. Before you start asking questions, I'd like to introduce you to my assistant who escorted you to this room, Roger Ruvie." The strangers greeted Ruvie. "I'm flattered that you think we're 'gifted souls' but I'm no genius. Why did you ask me to help?" One of them asked. "Yeah! Why are we here?" Another one asked. Then the room suddenly got very loud that you couldn't hear what anyone was saying. "Quiet!" Near yelled.

The room fell silent. "I asked you all to help me because I need your help. You all have a certain skill that will help towards this investigation. If you haven't noticed but Kira is on the loose again and I'm going to stop him but I'll need your help. Now, if you wish to leave, you may." Near calmed down a bit. "I'll stay. Hi everyone, my name's Roy." He announced. "Hey, my name's Margaret and I'm willing to stay." She announced. "Hi, my name's Tim." He said in a very timid voice.

"Well, I'm glad you all decided to stay. Now then, be warned that being apart of this investigation will endanger your life and that you can turn back anytime. Is everyone going to stay?" Near asked everyone. "Yes", everybody responded. "This investigation team will be called the new SPK, or just SPK is fine." Near felt relieved.