19. Brandon's

Leah

My phone started ringing her ringtone.  I didn’t want to talk to her but if it was important or life and death I would never forgive myself.  Picking up my Galaxy S5—yeah that’s right I’m a Samsung not an Apple lover—I swiped the green phone on the screen indicating I was answering.

“What do you want?”  I asked wanting her to get straight to her point, I was in no way in the mood for mindless babble. 

“My brother—,” she said and I stood up straighter.  What was wrong with Lance?

“What is it Lena?  Is he okay?”  I didn’t hear anything for a minute and then she responded. 

“You really do love him, don’t you?”  Sighing I ignored this, waiting for her to continue.  “He knows about you.”  She whispered that part into the phone.  I hated that he knew.  I didn’t want him to think he was trapped. 

“You told him,” I did not say it accusingly because truthfully I should have told him.  I was just scared.  It was his right to know even if I wasn’t pregnant. 

“I had to and he is on his way.”  I hung up then.  I did not have much time.  However, I could not think of a logical reason to hide.  So I went to our place.  The park that sat in between the two Were boarders.  No man’s land as I call it.  I went to my favorite swing he used to push me in when we were kids while Lena sat at the swing beside mine crying because he would not push her.  Smiling I let the tears leave my eyes as I kicked off the ground pushing myself forward. 

“I found you,” he said not long after I started swinging.  He was behind me but undoubtedly saw my shiver at his voice.  I always shivered at his voice.  I knew that if I was pregnant or not I would have to leave this territory.  I could not be around him my whole life while he fell in love and mated with another. 

Lena

My phone started ringing and before I could even think to listen to the ringtone to see who it was I answered. 

“Lena?”  It took me a second to recognize that voice.  Philip. 

“I— what do you need Philip?”  I tried not to sound rude but I needed his brother not him. 

“I’m here to see you,” he was not affected by my words at all.  “Come to the door and let me in.”  He hung then so I called a number I knew by heart.  He answered on the second ring. 

“Your brother is here,” I said then ended the call.  I knew I had to answer the door so I dragged my feet all the way there. 

Seeing Philip’s familiar face didn’t leave butterflies in my stomach like it once did.  I opened the door wide and he came in smiling going right for the couch. 

Philip and Brandon shared the same hair color but Philips was cut shorter and more neatly while Brandon’s was thicker and wilder, long enough to run my fingers through.  Brandon had a stronger jaw line and more muscles, which is why he is Alpha instead of Philip I guess.  Thinking of Brandon as Alpha when he didn’t tell me pissed me off. 

“I’ve missed you Lena.  You’re even more beautiful, if that’s possible, than when I last saw you.”  I blushed and I guess that told him it was all right to lean forward and kiss me.  I didn’t see it coming.  I have not had many boyfriends or people kiss me so it was totally unexpected.  He stopped after a second of my not responded.

“You have a mate.”  He accused.

“How do you—“

“When you kiss a girl Were you can see her stasis.  Unmated, mated, and rejected.”  I blushed as he said that.  “Who is he?”  I shook my head. 

“Well if you’re not willing to tell me then you would not mind if I…”  He laid his lips on mine again and it felt so wrong.  I started to push him away but he grabbed the back of my head pushing me more into him.  Suddenly I heard the door slam and an outraged snarl that I knew was my mate. 

Philip let go of me and I gasped for breath and scooted away from him not being able to contain my whimper.  Philip turned to his brother frowning.

“Brandon don’t worry.  I know you don’t like Lena so we will go far away.  She has a mate but I claimed her years ago so we must kill him.”  I gasped again at his words.  He looked at me his face softening a little.  “Lena, dear you will come to love me someday.”  He started to come to me and I tried desperately to get away from him.  Suddenly I was lifted into someone’s arms and I squirmed yelling until I realized it was Brandon and then I cuddled into his arms taking comfort in my mate.

“You will not be taking Lena,” Brandon said with a growl in his voice.  “You will not kill her mate unless you are inclined to kill your own brother.”  Philip stared in shock as Brandon laid a comforting kiss to my forehead and I struggled to get closer to him and farther from Philip. 

Before Philip could respond Lance’s voice spoke from behind, “What the fuck?”  Brandon whirled with me still in his arms.  My brother stood in the doorway to the living room with Leah in his arms.  They were both soaking wet and she lay limp and pale in his arms.  She looked dead and I climbed out of Brandon’s arms running to my best friend.  I felt her forehead, which was ice cold. 

“Is she?”  I couldn’t finish that sentence.

“Not yet,” Lance said.  “But if she doesn’t get help soon she might be soon.”

COMMENT

VOTE

READ ON...

Was that what you expected?  What do you think will happen next?