Chapter 15

Angel

A day later I'm finding myself walking up the mountain side to meet with Adelita. Mentally I'm preparing and going over my speech to her that I have been practicing for 2 days.

Rounding up the last leg up the mountain where they had set up camp and walking up to the tent, hearing distant whistles every second which was their way of communicating and letting everyone know I was there.

"I was wondering when you would finally make time to meet with me. I'm ready to move on the next phase of my plan. I'm making the final move tomorrow." Says Adelita

Nodding my head in agreement "That's good to hear, because after this..I gotta walk away Adelita. It's getting too dangerous for me and my guys. I got things goin on that just isn't worth the risk to me anymore." I grab her hand as a friendly gesture, showing her that I didn't want violence.

She just stares at me blankly before walking away from me "Is the issue something or someone, Angel? We have hundreds of thousands of people depending on us.."

"No there are hundreds of thousands of people depending on you. Not us. I'm sorry I just can't keep living both sides of the fence. Your face is all over Santo Padre. The kid needs to be returned before more people end up dead."

She shakes her head "No. He will be returned when we get what we need from Galindo in return."

"Either you give the kid back or I'm taking him back. He shouldn't have ever been taken in the first place! It's like you're trying to make more orphans." I spat at her. Trying to reel my anger back in as best I can.

I see her second in command, Pablo, stand up from a spot behind her. Clearly ready to defend her in any way he deems necessary.

"Look I'm final with my word in this. When the kid is given back I'm done. This is not what I originally signed up for. I'm done fighting this war that's not even my war!"

With my final word I turn and walk away from them and begin my descend down the mountain back to the truck.

Sophia

"Guys are so gross" I say to myself as I pull another pair of gross dirty socks out that have been shoved under the bed. Throwing them into the ever growing mountain of dirt socks and underwear in the laundry basket by the doorway.

I have been on a cleaning spree since 9am. The house the was smelling like motor oil and cigarettes is now smelling like clean laundry and Lysol.

Throwing the latest basket of laundry into the washer, I then go to the fridge and pull out a beer and plop of the couch for a quick break. Grabbing my phone off the coffee table to check the time and instead I see a unread text notification.

Tapping on the notification and unlocking my phone, it pulls up a new message from a unknown number.

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.

With that a picture attached to the text message. A picture of Angel and a dark haired woman. Holding hands and standing too close for comfort.

My eyes begin to burn and water as I look at the picture before tossing the phone down on the table.

A moment later my phone begins to ring, a picture of Angel and I gracing the screen. I take a deep breath and clear my throat before swiping right and answering. "Hello?"

"Hey! You at home still?"

"Yeah still cleaning. Where are you right now?" Hoping I could tell if he was lying or not. I know that photo was taken today. I know what he was wearing when he left this morning.

"Oh I'm just about to stop in at Pops and grab something to maybe throw on the grill. Just stay in and take it easy tonight."

He avoided my question. Feeling my tears build in my eyes again and my composure beginning to fold. "Sounds good. I'll see you soon." Hanging up before he could reply.