Chapter Three: The Thief

"Wait...so you're telling me the thief always sends clues where they're going to steal from next a few days before?" I asked, "yeah basically" someone confirmed.

"And you still haven't managed to even catch the guy or his group yet?" I pushed, they looked embarrassed as I sighed and glanced at the note we had received. It was written using cut out magazine words.

Hey Detectives, man you guys must be so dense! You went to the opposite side of the city last time!

Did they? I looked over at the group of detectives in charge of the city again. Yeah, it sounds likely...unfortunately. 

There's a house that shines with a thousand stars, tonight they will disappear, try not to bore me ok? You're making this too easy! Bye detectives!

~The Phantom Thief, (cool nickname by the way :D)

Is it sad that this doesn't surprise me? I sighed and looked back at the note more carefully at the supposed hint. A house that shines with a thousand stars? Maybe that means the museum? The Star House!

Around ten months ago the city started gathering diamonds. Tonight there would be an exhibition to the public for the mass collection. Diamonds...there advertising the event as the night of stars, due to the glass ceiling and how it lights on them.

It has to be this, because the alternative is a joke shop called Diamonds...no wait...that sounds accurate to...God why is this phantom thief like a toddler?

♤~♡~◇~♧

I walked around the floor, coffee in hand as I waited for the thief to arrive, my team was out at the other location just to make sure they didn't arrive there. They seemed enthusiastic about which location I was going to, even offered to come with me.

I think they're joking right now also at the other location of how I'm an idiot. Sadly I think I'm right...

"Hey pretty boy~" someone flirted behind me. Behind me was the thief, decked out in a tuxedo with a black and white color palate fitting the name DICE with a tie similar to a dice cube, and purple hair tied into a ponytail was the thief. Around their face was a thin mask revealing only the lower half of their face and there amythest eyes brimming with mischief. They also had on high platform boots and a top hat.

"Suriprised they sent one of their new rookies here~" they continued. I sighed, "is your group really going to run a joke shop?" I asked.

We were inside the store Diamonds. Sometimes the most obvious answer is the right one, and that kills me a little.

"Aww does my beloved detective hate me already?" They asked as they pulled out a gun, "you might wanna run away or that sweet *as is toast!" Someone called, they had an outfit like their leader only resembling an insane asylum and had a full clown mask.

I pulled out my own gun. I never actually fired it and was mainly just to look threatening, "You and your entire group are arrested for multiple accounts of theft, breaking and entering, graffiti, and littering" I said, trying to sound confident.

"Boss! Look how cute he is!" A girls voice cheered, "aw to bad hes a detective" she lamented as she grinned at me and held a peace sign, "talk to you later darling~" she called as some members seemed to run up the stairs. I immediately started running after them, "get back here!" I called.

*BANG*

I felt the air being cut as I saw a bullet go into the wall meer inches from where I was standing. The their smiled at me, "sorry me detective, I can't let you do that~" he teased.

I felt myself tending up when I noticed a bag tied to his waist, he took notice and grinned, "oh did you see my souvenirs from yesterday? Your department was so funny when they stupidly drank the punch with the sleeping pills!" He joked.

"Besides here's the big shot anyway" he admitted grinning further. Suddenly a bright light flashed through the window, "looks like we gotta cut this short mr detective!" He called as he threw down a smoke bomb, the room erupted in the purple smoke and when it cleared I noticed the thief running up the steps, carrying even more things in their bag.

"Get back here!" I called running up the stairs after them, now we were on the rooftop. The thief was jumping scorss the rooftops like they had done it a million times as people seemed to crowd around on the streets.

I bit my lip and ran after him,  nearly tripping over myself multiple times due to the only light source being the moon and I only knew where the thief was due to the way the moon shined on his suit.

Eventually I could feel my lungs burning as the thief stopped. There was nowhere left to go as he turned to me flashing a big grin, "aww my beloved detective is chasing after me huh?" They asked.

"Give up and reveal yourself!" I called to him. The thief yawned, "why would I do that? Come on mr detective, isn't that your job? To unmask your beloved thief and lock me away?" He asked.

"Theres no where to run, make it easier on yourself and give up" I shouted slowly walking towards them. The thief responded by standing on the edge of the building as my eyes widened.

One more step and he would fall. He grinned jokingly, "what was your name again?" He asked. I raised an eyebrow confused, "what? I need to know who to ask on a date when we meet again!" He called.

"Bye bye~!" He said as he fell backwards and I chased after him extending my hand desperate to grab him as he barely slipped past my grasp...

And onto a white sheet below.

Underneath was his subordinates holding out a large sheet to catch him and the second he landed they threw him into the back of a van and sped away, some holding onto the side and waving goodbye to me before going in the van as I stared after.

....

What just happened?