Chapter Six: The Symptoms

"Kokichi, you know I love you as a brother right?" Nao asked as we started driving on the road, I nodded looking back at where Saihara had waited with me for him to arrive.

"Nope~" I answered, "well it doesn't matter, because WHY THE F*CK DID YOU CALL ME YO PICK YOU UP IN FRONT OF THE FLIPPING DETECTIVE TRYING TO ARREST US?!" Nao whispered screamed.

I would probably be laughing if I wasn't so confused myself, "also bucko dont think I didn't see what happened to your face! Dont you dare spoils those good looks I would kill for!" Nao ranted and I tuned him out.

I could feel my face blushing from the experience. It's just like when we were younger...and at the same time this time I had him all to myself...why does this have to happen at the worst times-

*COUGH*

I felt my throat tighten as I started coughing, Nao stopped his rant and looked at me concerned as I prayed the petals wouldn't come out.

Since I discovered this weird new illness I've coughed a lot more than usual, to the point that Takashiro keeps asking if I'm sick. At least I can be glad this doesn't give me a fever, whatever it is. I just  lie and say I didn't drink any Panta yet.

It's not going to last much longer. I could fool the entire world with my lies, except for a certain group of idiots and people who love screaming. Also known as DICE.

They sometimes didn't fall for it, one out of a hundred serious lies they dont fall for. And they were always the things I try to hide the most.

It's funny.

"Uh...Kokichi are you ok?" Nao asked, "nope~" I sang out and Nao sighed in relief, "oh thank God you're ok...seriously that sounded like the time Genkei had an asthma attack...dear God I didn't sleep for a week" Nao reminded.

"And its kid d*mn fault for freaking smoking while he has ASTHMA" Nao ranted. Yeah he's not suspecting anything.

Still...it was risky calling Nao to pick me up...but Saihara would've wanted to walk me home, and the second I saw him I felt like I wanted to cough. Can't be weak, especially if he finds us out.

But the fact that Saihara didn't recognize the van...that's just embarassing. Why did I have a crush on a detective-

*COUGH*

....

I can't take it anymore this is so annoying. Nao glanced at me taking a break from his ranting and passed me a cough drop. I quickly took it and realized I had some petals and tried to hide them.

Luckily Nao is not the observant type.

But he is the gossip type so it's only a matter of time.

♤~♡~◇~♧

"Kokichi you better not be trolling forums again!" Takashiro screamed from the kitchen, "not today" I told him, "when will you grow up?" Takashiro groaned.

I smiled and tried to act like I wasn't shaking. I finally looked up what that cough was. And I didn't like it.

(The following is from the urban dictionary)

"The Hanahaki Disease is an illness born from unrequited love, where the patient’s throat will fill up with flower, they will then proceed to throw, and cough up the petals, (sometimes even the flowers). One of the only ways for the disease to ‘disappear’ is if, the said person returns the feeling (it can’t be resolved with friendship, it has to be genuine feelings of love). The infection can also be removed through surgery, though the feelings disappear along with the petals. If they choose nether options, or the feeling is not returned in time, then the patient’s lungs will fill up with flowers, and will eventually suffocate
There is no specific flower for the disease, but it’ll either be the crushes favourite type of flower, or their favourite colour. We can only hope for the patients, and pray that the crushes favourite flower isn’t a type of rose."

I smiled widely as I closed down the site and did my best to remove traces of even searching it up as I headed to my bedroom where I locked the door.

Then I grabbed my pillow and screamed, WHAT THE F*CK?! Oh come on?! I can't afford to die right now for some stupid crush! Why do I even like you Saihara?! Is it cause of your fabulous eye lashes?! That *ss DICE will never stop mentioning?!

How hes hot and smart and my dream guy?!

*COUGH* *COUGH*

Ok that was counter productive. D*mm it. I'm only going to stop crushing on Saihara any time soon which is the worst part. Not just because I don't know if I can ever tell DICE but...

I'm going to die. We couldn't ever afford that surgery. Stupid to even think we could, we have to pay for three places of rent and food. Along with school for some members. We were barely making ends meet already.

And...I dont want DICE to steal anymore than we have to. The second we can all get better jobs I'll lay down the mask, or that was the original plan.

And...there was one other thing I knew that would make this all even worse.

Saihara's favorite type of flower is a rose.