Never Too Late

Chapter Nineteen

He was gone.

I was too late, I had just missed him and now he was gone. Gone forever and now I wasn’t going to see him again.

Flashback

If he wasn’t going to call me, then I was going to harass him. Just the way he did to me when I wouldn’t go out and a date with him. Just like him I wasn’t going to take no for an answer, even if he didn’t want to see me, I know his brother will let me in.

I drove to his brother’s house and knocked on the door. It was early and it was rude to wake everyone up but I had to talk to Matt. Craig opened the door, “Raul, Matt isn’t here.”

“I know he does want to see me or hear what I have to say but please I have to talk to him, I have to fi this with him.” I pleaded with him.

“Raul he really isn’t here,” I felt the lump in my throat form. “I took him to the airport about two hour ago.” Tears rolled down my face, “I’m really sorry.”

“Did he say where he was going?” it was taking a lot not to just breakdown crying.

“Arlington, Virginia.” He was going back, “Again I’m sorry Raul I tried to talk him out of it.” I just nodded my head and walked away.

That was almost a week ago, I had even tried calling him again, but his number was changed. It was my own fault anyway, there was things I should have done and I didn’t do them. Now he was again, no difference then I was ten years ago. Alone and alienated from everyone that had cared for me.

Not even work was helping distract me, it was Halloween night and so far it was a quiet night. The first Halloween night shift I have ever worked and I was hoping for anything to come. The busier I was the quicker my night went and just go back home alone.

“Raul, Dr. Powell wants you to take care of the patient that needs stitches.” Jake said, interrupting my thoughts. Finally something I can do to kill some time.

“Tammy fainted again?” Jake nodded his head, “But why can’t you take care of it and I thought Tammy over the whole fainting over blood?”

“Dr. Watson put me on probation after I made an inappropriate joke the last time I was doing stitches.” He said sheepishly. “And I have to make sure Tammy is okay, oh and the reason she fainted again I think is because it’s the same guy from last time. I think she might find him attractive and that makes her nervous enough to faint.”

Could it be Matt? I thought back to the times Tammy had fainted and only Matt was the one that came to mind. “Lead me to him,” I had to know if it was Matt. Jake led me to the exam room. The closer we got we could hear two men arguing and the voices sound so familiar.

“Okay you better go check up on Tammy,” Jake nodded his head and went the other way. I walked inside the exam room. There were to guys one was dressed as captain hook and the other one was Peter pan. He was the one that needed the stiches and was holding a towel against the back of his head. The guy in the Hook costume looked at me and it was Craig, Matt’s older brother.  He nodded his head and smiled at me, so Peter pan had to be Matt.

“Whose fault was it this time?” I asked as I put on a pair of gloves, Matt turned around to face me. His expression was blank, I didn’t know if he still hated me or if he had gotten over it.

“Isn’t there someone else that can do my stiches?” He asked coldly, it was safe to say he was still mad.

“Matt don’t be like that.” Craig said, Matt snorted.