Chapter 42 . Growing Pains

"We had to cross over the Trident, and the only way to do that was to strike a deal with Walder Frey." Robb explained to Aurelia the bargain he had to make as they broke their fast with their mother. The bargain included a marriage betrothal between Robb Stark and one of Walder Frey's daughter, and Arya Stark between one of his sons. A betrothal that would become true once Robb wins the war and makes one last stop before returning home to Winterfell.

     It had only been a day since the three Starks were reunited, and it already made a difference inside Robb and Catelyn. Saving Aurelia gave the Northerners the confidence they needed in battling the remaining Lannister armies that had larger hosts than them. If they were able to win this one battle, perhaps the same can be said with the upcoming ones. 

     Aurelia stared at the food served in front of her. She would have gobbled it down a few weeks back, but her appetite has not returned. The circles under her eyes were beginning to darken, with her cheeks becoming hollower. She was unable to sleep the night before, having thought about Jaime until dawn broke. Accepting the fact that the Lannisters attempted to assassinate Bran was difficult as it is, but to have it piled over the fact that Jaime knew along and kept it a secret this entire time was too much. Jaime told her that he had no knowledge of the reason behind Tyrion's kidnapping, and that infuriated him more; but Aurelia believed him, and she continued to believe him. Even when Aurelia received news that Bran lost the use of his legs, Jaime said nothing about the truth.

     "Could you not have promised him lands or even a tiny bit of gold?" She questioned Robb,

     "The only deal he wanted was marriage. It was the only way." Catelyn emphasize the fact that there had been no other choice to be made at that moment.

     "And you agreed to this?" Aurelia asked Robb once more, knowing that marriage was the last thing her brother would have thought about. Similar to Aurelia, he had expected to have a wife from one of the noble Northern Houses, and not a Southerner. He had also wished to have a choice in who he marries, and would not do it unless he truly loved the woman. He never wanted to marry someone due to a political alliance. That was another expectation the twins had thought they could control, but now it was out of their hands.

     "I had to do everything there was to cross the river. If the price is an arranged marriage, then I'm willing to pay for it." Robb told her,

     "And what of Arya? Does she not have any choice in this?" Aurelia asked about her youngest sister, whom detested the idea of marriage more so than the both of them. "She would hate this once she hears about it; and not only the betrothal but at us for allowing it to happen." She continued to say, as Robb and Catelyn began to look uneasy.

     "She'll eventually learn to come to terms with it. We all must." Catelyn replied, "What is important is getting your father and sisters back. We will figure out the matter about marriages after the war is over." She continued to tell her two eldest children.

     "What of mine with Jaime Lannister?" Aurelia brought up a subject she wishes she could ignore; however, she had a feeling that it was going to be discussed sooner or later and she would rather discuss it privately with her mother and brother, instead of it being in front of a bunch of Northern Lords and Ladies. "Unlike Robb and Arya, I'm already married to him."

     "That means nothing." Robb said, "He's a Lannister and you a Stark. Marrying him does not change any of that." He told them, and Aurelia had the same thought in the beginning but after leaving Kings Landing, she knew that that was easier said than done.

     "Not to Jaime. He expects me to be loyal to his House; even if that meant going against my own. To him, it does not matter that I am a Stark or not." Aurelia said,