3: Unwanted Guests

When other languages (igbo, Yoruba, etc) are used by characters, they are written in italics in between apostrophes.

Thanks a lot ShanteSOspecial for the book cover. ❤

      ***

“There is no way I am joining the school’s Press Club. I ran away from every club that asked me to join because I don't like wahala (problem). So just know you are wasting your time.” Tayo stated as he showed himself the way to the kitchen.

Sometimes I still couldn't believe how much dad's strictness had reduced. Before, he'd never want to hear of me bringing anyone called my friend home.

Well, Senior Eric changed all that.

“TY, now!” I called as I turned on the TV.

“Never!” He yelled from the kitchen.

“You should have thought this whole thing through before accepting it.” Oluchi said as she slumped on the couch.

“Shut up. Hope you know you’re joining sha?” I told her.

“Do I have a choice?”

“I’m glad our understanding is mutual.” I gave a tight lipped smile and she chuckled as she picked up the TV remote.

“Big Joy!” I heard Chioma call and I left the sitting room for the passage to see her coming down the stairs in a hurry.

“You’re going to hurt yourself.” I reprimanded her and reached the last step before she did.

“Grandma is calling you.” She told me and I groaned with my head thrown back.

“Tell her I’m coming. You guys are hungry, right?” I called after her as she ran upstairs.

“Yes!” She answered and I just chuckled as I watched her climb up the stairs.

It was amazing how grown up she looked compared to when she had just been born with Chima.

“Don’t eat up all our food, Ty!” I shouted as I entered the sitting room. "Could you help me give the kids food? I'm coming." I told Oluchi and she turned from the TV to nod at me. "And make sure Tayo doesn't finish the food in this house!" I shouted as I climbed up the stairs.

When I reached grandma’s room, I knocked twice on her door before entering.

“Ma.”

“Come please, so you can help me call Onyeka. She said she’s coming today but she hasn’t called since.” Grandma said and I moved closer to her bed.

“Aunty Onyeka is coming? Why?” I asked and crinkled my nose.

“What did you say?"

“I said, give me your phone.” I lied and she handed her phone over to me.

No one told me Aunt Onyeka was coming and most of all, why?

Aunt Onyeka is the youngest of my dad's two siblings and the annoying one. She complained about almost everything and was extremely picky. She and mom never really got along. Mom just tolerated her.

I was more than sure she was just coming to cause more trouble and put blames on everyone for Big sis’ disappearance and that wasn’t what we needed now.

After dialing her number four times, with no answer, I returned the phone to grandma as requested.

Immediately, there was a knock at the gate.