30: Two things, one ruined.

Joy had just rung the bell signaling the beginning of the first period when she entered her classroom to see everyone, at each corner, whispering with anxious eyes going wide. She knew that look; that was the look everyone had when something big was about to happen or had just happened.

Not wanting to miss out on the gist, she hurried over to her seat.

“What’s going on?” She asked Oluchi as she set the bell by her table and sat down.

Oluchi was about opening her mouth to speak when they were – Joy would have wished to say rudely interrupted, but that would have been an understatement of the year considering the fact that it was Treasure’s job to deliver the daily scoop. It was like she had made it her work to render any news that couldn’t be printed.

“Have you all heard?” Her voice echoed over the quiet classroom. The class had gone silent the moment she walked in and hit the white board with the cane in her hand – where she had gotten one, only God knew.

“Treason mama.” Emma hyped, while throwing his fists in the air for her.

Since the last fight between Bayo and Emma, there hadn't been any more scenes, except the fact that they barely crossed paths or said a word to each other.

“You are most welcome.” Treasure placed her empty hand on her chest as she gave a slight bow.

Some laughed, while others rolled their eyes – people like Blessing.

“Please, if you have something to say, say it already. We all have something to do.” Blessing, ever so impatient with the world, said as she slammed her bag on the table.

“Please o,” Treasure looked to everyone with her hand spread out in front of her. “did I force anybody to listen to me?”

Blessing, knowing she had lost this one, hissed loudly and focused on getting her stuffs out of her bag – even though it was obvious from the brief glances she constantly threw at Treasure that she was interested in what Treasure had to say.

“Shebi you guys know the Principal just called for an emergency meeting with the teachers?” Treasure began, and even Joy was eager to hear what Treasure had to say as she leaned in, just like everyone else.

“I heard it has to do with Mr. Jude. One of the teachers told me he’s taking a break because of his wife’s death.” One of the student, Jumoke, mentioned.  Jumoke was a busty, fair skinned girl with thick rimmed glasses.

“Me too. That’s what I also heard.” Her friend, Kate added. Kate was skinnier compared to Jumoke. No matter how much she ate – which she did a lot – she never seemed to put on any weight, whatsoever.

Joy didn’t know them really well, but it was quite obvious, from how much time the two spent together, that they were close friends.

“And I even heard he doesn’t have children.” Kate continued. “It’s quite sad.” She sniffed, swiping at the left corner of her eye.

Everyone knew Kate to be annoyingly sentimental, so it was no surprise that a tear had already left her eyes, prompting eye rolls from everyone.

“Ehn, Binta and friend,” Treasure cut in on the hushed murmurs causing everyone to laugh as she placed her hands on her waists. “Did I ask you people what you heard and didn’t heard?” She pointed the cane in her hand to Jumoke and Kate, whom sank back in their seats. “Since you guys know so much, why didn’t you spread the news since?”