33: Second chances

"The test next week-" Mrs. Solomon was saying when Joy entered the class.

She had gone outside to ring the final bell of the day and English was their last class, which Mrs. Solomon was rounding off.

"-will determine if I have been talking to a bunch of dullards or children with brains a little better than that of a jellyfish."

Joy couldn't help but roll her eyes. Mrs. Solomon was fond of raining insults on whomever she deemed worthy of her harsh words. Joy found the way she misused her power irritating, her throwing words at each one of them, like they were supposed to be at her feet worshiping her.

"Class captain." Mrs. Solomon called and Joy was about to respond when Blessing did.

It has been a few weeks since Joy was stripped off her position as Class captain, but that didn't mean she was used to it. Even some of the teachers found it hard referring to her as the assistant class representative; some of them even made the mistake of calling for her instead of Blessing.

"Make sure they submit their notes to you." Mrs. Solomon instructed and Blessing nodded. "I'll be rewarding five marks to those with a neat and complete note." At this, everyone exclaimed - some out of joy, and the others out of the fact that their notes were in such bad shape.

"If I don't see your notes on my desk in the next ten minutes, just know you've lost five marks. It might seem small, but if you knew me well, you'd know every mark is crucial. Do I make myself clear?" She regarded Blessing with a look that dictated authority.

"Yes, ma." Blessing replied, hands beside her like she was a soldier.

Mrs. Solomon had only picked up her notebook and marker, when the class broke into a state of panic. Students ran from one seat to the other, begging for either paper-tapes or gum, while Joy closed her book and folded her arms.

Joy had never liked her books dirty or torn, so once there was a slight rip, she took care of it immediately. Oluchi, on the other hand, had been perked up from her sulky behavior - which she had been in all afternoon - and was also in search of the tape she supposedly put in her bag.

"It's when you need something you won't see it. Mtcheew." She murmured as she ransacked her bag.

"Shebi I used to warn you about your note." Joy said. "I don't get it sha. You barely read your books, but your notes are always tattered. Why?"

"Wo, that question is for another day. J, I can't find my sellotape." She paused to look at Joy, her mouth agape.

"Instead of you to go and borrow from those that have..." Joy suggested, but Oluchi buried her head back in her bag.

"I know I brought it to school na." She murmured as she began emptying out the contents of her bag and placing them on her laps.

"Submit o! Me I can't stress myself." Blessing shouted from her seat, her chin resting on her palm as she watched everyone in their state of panic.

She had a malicious smirk on her face, one that indicated she was enjoying every moment.

"Found it!" Oluchi exclaimed. "Ah, thank God."

It took three messy tries, a stripped-off back cover, countless groaning, and finally, a handover to Joy before Oluchi's note looked presentable.

They headed towards Blessing's table and waited for the crowd to clear out before submitting.

Oluchi had started walking away, when Joy cleared her throat. Blessing's brow perked up in curiosity.

"I want to tell you something." Joy said.