22: The battle line between trust and doubt

Mr. Kelechi’s mother, after hearing of Deborah’s return, wasted no time in taking a bus to Lagos. How she had jumped with excitement and wrapped Deborah in her  arms, with so much agility, was of a big surprise to everyone.

Everyone looked so happy that Deborah reconsidered telling them about her nightmare; it would only cause them to worry, and she didn’t want that. All she wanted was for them to smile; to believe everything was OK – like she did. It was normal to have these kind of nightmares after experiencing what she did. With time, it would stop.

Presently, she was in Joy’s room, trying to make her explain why she has been in a foul mood.

“It’s really nothing,” Joy refused to give in as she sat back on the bed with a bowl of chin-chin in her hand.

“Joy, I know you.” Deborah’s frown made it clear that she wasn't giving up the issue anytime soon. “It’s been five days?” She looked down to count her fingers.

“You’re not going to leave this room till I talk, abi?”

Deborah laughed while nodding.

“Well,” Joy began as Deborah dipped her hand into the bowl. “Last week, Blessing published an article that told the whole school about Oluchi’s crush on Tayo.”

“What?” Deborah’s eyes widened as her hand stopped halfway to her mouth.

“Exactly. And she got away with it.”

“How?”

“She was smart enough to use Tomiwa’s name on the article.”

“Who’s Tomiwa?”

“A junior.” Joy replied and Deborah nodded.

Then Joy went on to narrate everything that happened, till her fight with her friends and how they haven’t talked, except the few words exchanged with Tayo about Deborah’s return.

“Hmm.”

“Yeah.” Joy raised her brows briefly before lowering them. “I can’t believe she even blamed me for Blessing always attacking me.”

“Well….”

“Don’t do that.”

“Do what?”

“Take her side. Point out my mistake; and then tell me what I should have done, ‘cos I know I’m not at fault.”

“Retaliating is never a good idea.”

“Don’t start.”

“I’m serious. You might just get into trouble, just like the way venting out your anger when Blessing did what she did-” Deborah’s talking was interrupted when Joy’s phone began ringing on the bed.

Joy looked back at it. Seeing it was Bayo, she hissed, then turned back to her sister.

“Aren’t you going to pick it?” Deborah cocked a brow.

“It’s not important.”

“Oh, OK. Anyways, you guys should just talk it out. I’m sure Oluchi just has your best interest at heart. Like she always has.”

“Naso.”

“Joy.” Deborah called, a warning behind her tone.

“I’ve heard.”

“You had better.” Deborah deadpanned before looked around the room while popping cubes of chin-chin into her mouth, one after the other.

When her eyes met her reflection on the mirror hanging beside Joy’s bathroom door, she inhaled sharply.