20: Paradise and Trouble

Joy took one last look at Oluchi’s diary on her table. It was a pink hardcover Oluchi had designed with star-shaped, glittering stickers. It used to have a lock, Joy remembered, but not anymore. Blessing made sure of that.

She let out one last heavy sigh, her face crinkling to a slight frown, before she closed the door.

“Mommy, I will be going to Oluchi’s place later today.” She announced when she entered the dining room.

Her mom was already serving breakfast, while the twins chatted animatedly. Her dad looked up when he saw her, and cleared his throat.

“I saw Mr. Chibuike yesterday night. I didn’t know he was back.” He said.

“He just came back this week.” Joy replied as she sat on the chair beside Chima, adjacent her father’s.

“I’m sure Oluchi is very happy.” Mrs. Hannah said smilingly.

Joy didn’t reply. Her parents knew Oluchi’s, but they barely knew what really happened in their family, and she preferred to keep it that way. It wasn’t her business to tell, neither was it theirs to know.

Once breakfast was set, everyone bowed their heads and Mr. Kelechi said a short prayer, before they started eating.

“So,” Mr. Kelechi began as they ate. “How is school, Joy?”

‘Bad. Not only was my best friend indirectly bullied, as usual, but I’m no longer the class prefect of my class, AND I failed a Math classwork.’

“It’s… OK.” Is what Joy replied with instead and tugged at her left earlobe.

“I see. What about you two?” He referred to the twins.

They both looked up from their food.

“School is OK.” Chima’s quiet voice matched his eyes as he looked at his father.

“School is boring.” Chioma whined, causing everyone to laugh, except Joy, whose shoulders were slouched as she subconsciously stirred the chocolaty liquid in her mug .

Not only had her sister jumped from frying pan to fire, but SHE was barely keeping it together with her school life.

“Joy,” Mrs. Hannah called and she looked up from her food. “Is anything the matter?” Her brows lowered and Joy shook her head, while pulling her left earlobe.

Mrs. Hannah was about to say something, when a loud honk from outside interrupted her.

Everyone exchanged questioning glances before Mrs. Hannah asked Mr. Kelechi, “Are you expecting anybody this morning?” And he shook his head in reply.

“I’ll go and check.” Joy said before leaving the dinning.

Once she was outside the house, she let out a low grumble, “Very early in the morning…”

She tilted her head when she reached the gate. Through the bars, she recognized the car that honked. It was her Uncle’s.

***

It wasn’t a daydream, still Joy couldn’t believe her eyes.

Her sister, whom had been missing for over a month; her sister, whom she had been scared she would never see again, was hugging her presently.

The air wasn’t freezing, but she felt goosebumps trailing down her skin. She hadn’t been running, but her breath was ragged. She hadn’t just watched a tragic movie, but the tears wouldn’t stop rolling down her cheeks. They flowed like they controlled her, and not the other way around.