10: Hope

“Are you sure you’ll be fine on your own?” Aunt Onyeka asked for what seemed like the tenth time today and I could tell from the rigid nod Adora gave that she too was counting.

It was finally Sunday and they were finally going back to their house, except Adora wasn’t going back in one piece.

“If you get home, call me immediately. You hear?” Grandma told Aunt Onyeka when they reached the bottom of the stairs.

Aunt Onyeka was annoying, stubborn, picky, insulting… And the many other things Oluchi and Big Sis will deem inappropriate to mention but Grandma still loved her like she should, as a mother, and that was sometimes fascinating. It was as though grandma couldn’t see what others saw or she saw it but wasn't concerned about the flaws, rather, she felt only love for her only daughter.

No wonder Aunt Onyeka behaves like a spoilt child, I shook my head as I helped carry Adora’s bags outside the house. On a normal day, I would never do such but Adora is limping, Aunt is either too concerned or too lazy to realize Adora has bags and Mom thinks it’s the least I should do.

“You finally got what you wanted, abi?” I heard and turned from the door of Aunt Onyeka's car to see adora struggling to keep her balance on the crutches I still see as unnecessary.

“You’re finally going home. Can’t you just at least stay quiet and think about your life? Do you think fighting with me all the time is going to get you anywhere?” I asked and I was sincerely worried that she could turn out worse if she focused so hard on this useless anger she felt for me.

“Oh, so because I sprained my ankles and you didn’t, you think you’ve achieved something in life? You think you’re better than me?”

“What?” I exclaimed and almost faced palmed at her before walking away so she couldn’t continue her stupid drama talk. 

I walked over to where Aunt was hugging the twins and telling them goodbye.

“And as for you,” She turned to me after hugging the twins. “If you like, mix with bad friends and let them sway you. You know your father.” She warned and I couldn’t quite say if that was an advice or just her being the annoying Aunt I know.

After a quick air kiss and side hug from her, she walked over to Dad and they started to discuss something. The unheard discussion looked more like Dad giving Aunt a series of advice, as Aunt mostly nodded than spoke.

In about a few minutes later, we were already waving as Aunt backed out of the compound. When they had left, I didn’t know when I breathed out a finally! Mom immediately turned to glare at me and I avoided her eyes before entering the house.

***

I turned to the other side of my bed but still couldn’t find a comfortable spot that would allow me sleep peacefully.

Immediately, I sat up and breathed out heavily, a scowl on my face. I got out of bed and headed for the kitchen to drink some water – it helped at times like this.

On my way back from the kitchen, I heard someone sigh heavily, making me stop in my tracks. I tiptoed back from the stairs, down to the entrance that led to the sitting room.

Peeping from one side, I couldn’t really make out who it was but when the heavy sigh was made again, I knew instantly that it was Dad. He sounded so tired that I knew he must have been awake the whole night.

I debated going to talk to him but decided against it. I wouldn’t know what to say. I’ve never seen him in such state. He’s always been the tough man who hardly broke down but right now, he seemed so confused that I bet part of it was because of the pressure our extended family was putting on him.