24: A stands for?

When the honking at the gate grew louder, Joy looked at the doorway then at her sister.
Deborah was in no condition to answer the gate. Her brown eyes were already red-rimmed as she could barely keep it together, her shoulders heaving uncontrollably.

Joy walked over to her sister and gave her back a small pat. "Stop crying. Wash your face while I answer the gate."

As she made her way to the door, she couldn't forget the haunted look that washed over her sister's face when she mentioned being locked up. It was like she was feeling a certain pain; one that could be compared to what Blessing must have felt while in that toilet.

At the door, Joy stopped and wiped her face with the hem of her dress before opening the door.

When she saw the car that honked at the gate, she couldn't help the grimace that made its way to her face. The fact that she recognized that car and who was in it was enough to make her want to turn around and go back into the house.

The person in it honked again and she rolled her eyes before making her way towards the gate.

After the car has been driven in, she closed the gate.

"Are your parents home?" Aunt Onyeka asked as she stepped out of the car, her key in one hand and the other holding the door.

"No. They already went to work." Joy replied as she walked over to her aunt, the frown failing to leave her face.

"And why are you at home?"

'And why are you here?' Joy wished to ask, but said instead, "I was... suspended."

"What?! Why?! I knew it. Those your friends smelt like trouble. I did warn you about them the last time I was here."

Joy was about to reply her when Adora came to view at the other side of the car.

"Why can't I stay with dad instead?" Adora whined and shot knives and daggers at Joy, before looking back at her mother.

'Why is this one here now?' Joy's frown deepened.

"Shut up! You know what you did and you still have mouth to want to make decisions." Aunt Onyeka snapped, a key pointed at Adora.

"Onyeka!" Joy heard her grandma's voice from the door and peered over her aunt to see her grandma with her arms wide opened.

"Mama!" Aunt Onyeka cried as she closed the door and toppled over, regaining balance almost immediately.

Joy laughed into her hand.

"Hey, you!" Adora shouted and Joy's head snapped to her direction. "Get the bags."

"If I throw you slap ehn," Joy raised a hand, hanging it by the side of her neck.

"Ehn, don't listen to me now. I heard your sister is around. She'll bring it inside for me. I'm sure you'll like that." Adora said as she rounded the car to meet Joy.

"Joy, bring the bags inside!" Aunt Onyeka called at her before entering the house with grandma.

Adora stuck out her tongue then laughed before following them into the house.

Letting out a loud groan, Joy strangled the air while watching Adora leave. "Don't worry. You will soon break another leg."

***

"So you knew they were coming?" Joy asked as she followed her sister into her room.

"Dad told me this morning." Deborah replied and stacked the novels on her bed, taking them to her reading table. "It's only Adora that's staying."