15: On a mission

Seated in his car with his partner, John kept his eyes out for a short, dark-skinned, balded man, who would drive into the hospital with a Toyota Camry 2010. This man had been described by the nurse to be Dr. Frank.

As he tried to concentrate on the cars that went in and out of the hospital, he also tried hard to ignore Seun’s loud chewing. When he couldn't take it anymore, he turned to him.

“Don’t you know how to chew?” John snapped causing Seun to swallow hard, startled, as he began coughing.

John shook his head and handed a bottled water from his side to Seun who collected it.

After Seun was done drinking out of it, he pounded his fist on his chest before clearing his throat. “Why did you scare me like that? What if I had choked to death?” He snapped once he felt he was okay.

“But you didn’t, did you?” John pointed out, shooting him a hard glare.

Seun looked away as he grumbled to himself.

“Quit it. You are making noise.” John ordered.

“What did I say now?” Seun asked incredulously.

“I can’t take this anymore. I told them I didn’t want a child to babysit but they wouldn’t listen,” John groused as he got out of the car.

“Child?” Seun repeated to himself before getting out of the car angrily. “With all due respect, sir, I didn’t choose to be put under you so I would appreciate it if you didn't insult me.”

“Young man, how old are you?”

Seun was taken aback by John’s question and almost took it as a joke till he recognised the hardened expression on John's face, reminding him that John wasn't one to make jokes.

“25, sir.” Seun replied.

“Exactly.” John deadpanned and that only made Seun angrier.

John had indirectly referred to his age as a child's, Seun frowned.

He was about to address John’s insult when John suddenly put a finger up to shush him.

He opened his mouth to say something but closed it when he noticed how closely John was staring at something ahead.

Tracing John’s line of sight, he saw it was the car they had been waiting for.

It was driving into the hospital’s compound.

“Let’s go.” John said and shut the door.

***

We all know what is wrong and what is right. What we should do and when to do it, because if we did what we weren’t supposed to, there were definitely going to be consequences for that. But some people preferred to learn that the hard way.

People like Aliya and Usman, Joy thought as she listened to the principal announce the expulsion of both Aliya and Usman.

They are a disgrace and have tainted the school’s image, the principal's words echoed in her head and she couldn’t help but wonder whose fault it really was.

Was it her mother’s? The friends she had? She asked herself and looked over at Blessing who was in front of the line. Or was Aliya responsible for her own mistake?

She sighed, leaving her questions unanswered, as they were dismissed from the assembly ground.

As she left the assembly ground, she could hear the other students whispering about Usman's disappearance. He hadn't gone home that day, neither had anyone seen him. Not even his friends could get a hold of him.