25: Self-esteem

If Joy was asked to describe how the wedding ceremony of Mr. Samuel and Miss Grace was, what she would have pointed out were the handsome groomsmen that had accompanied Mr. Samuel to the alter and the delicious all-you-can-eat buffet that had been placed at the very right end of the hall.

She couldn't believe how grand the wedding was. But then again, Mr. Samuel came from a well-off family, which was baffling because of his decision to be a teacher all these years.

Thanks to her mom’s fashion skills though, she hadn’t attended the wedding in one of the many dresses she had turned down. Although it was a late request and her mom was still angry at her, the woman hadn’t refused in making one of the best off-shouldered knee-length gown for her, which she had rocked with a pair of heels.

Her sister on the other hand, had gone with sneakers with her own off-shoulder. And although Deborah’s body didn’t fill out the dress like it should have, the dress still made up for what was absent - shape and style. Her sneakers were the only thing Joy had been against. She knew her sister hated heels, but she preferred she had worn them instead – not that the sneakers looked bad or out of style or anything.

Since her last confrontation with her sister, she knew for sure that she was hiding something. But after countless tries in getting her to talk, which were fruitless, she decided to let the issue drop. So now, all she tried to do was make her sister's physical appearance look less haunting.

The wedding though, was an absolute success and quite enjoyable, even though there were the many students and parents from her school that had looked at her like she was a monster of some sort. It could have been worse if she hadn't had the support of her siblings and friends. She couldn't be more grateful for them.

Bayo and Blessing hadn't attended and though she was glad they didn't, a tiny part of her wished they had. She needed to apologize to both of them and explain herself to Bayo. She only wished by the time she resumed, it wouldn't be too late.

A week had already gone by, and it was a Monday. The twins had already gone to school. Deborah was clearing the plates while Joy was doing the dishes.

The adults were in the sitting room discussing with Uncle John, whom had arrived a few minutes ago. He was here to see his mother and discuss some other issues they couldn’t eavesdrop on; but with the little they heard, they knew it had something to do with Aunt Onyeka’s family issues.

“Do you think they are planning to divorce or something?” Deborah asked as she slid an already washed plate into the other side of the sink where Joy was.

“I won’t be surprised. What I’m surprised at is the fact that the man even lived that long with her.”

“Joy.”

“You’ve met the woman.”

“Why don’t you just mind your own business?” Adora’s voice caused them to turn around.

Adora walked to the sink and dropped her dirty plates into the one Deborah was at. When she turned to leave, Joy couldn’t help but scoff as she clapped her hands.

”Come here.” Joy called and Adora turned. “So it’s my sister that will wash plate for you abi?”

“She’s not complaining, is she?” Adora cocked her head to one side, a brow arched.

Joy looked at her sister, whom shared the same shocked look on her face.

Untying her apron, Deborah walked over to Adora and wore the apron over her.

“What are you doing?” Adora asked, watching Deborah with narrowed eyes as Deborah tied the ropes of the apron behind her. Done, Deborah pointed at the sink.