Chapter 5

Jisoo POV

I lift the bottom of my shirt to wipe away the sweat on my face, as I try to slow down my breathing. It's been a week, but I am not any closer to dancing the way I used to.

I groan in frustration for the millionth time tonight before heading to the bathroom to shower. I want to keep practicing even though my body is aching, but I can't because Ms. Cha will be home soon.

As I stand under the hot water of the shower, my adrenaline from dancing starts to fade away leaving my body to hurt even more. I collapse onto the floor of the shower, unable to hold myself up anymore.

I find myself hoping that I don't get accepted to Create 101. I can't dance well anymore, and after only two hours of practice I hurt so bad. How would I survive months of training non-stop?

I quickly shake those thoughts away. Dancing makes me smile despite the pain. I can't give up. I won't.

I step out of the shower ten minutes later and dry myself off. I look at the purple splotches that cover my left hip and sigh. If only I could afford proper physical therapy. Then maybe my leg wouldn't still be so messed up...

If I debut with Create 101, I can make money and finally get the proper care I need. This thought strengthens my crumbling motivation. I will dance again. I have to.

*****

I tug the door open lazily and walk into Ms. Cha's house. As soon as I am inside, I slip off my shoes and collapse onto the couch in the living room.

School sucked today. I sigh, glad that it's over and let myself sink further into the cushions. My eyes are starting to fall closed when I hear Ms. Cha walk into the room and clear her throat. I look up to be met with a very angry face.

"Ms. Cha, is everything okay?" I ask nervously. She has never looked at me like this before.

"No. Everything is not okay," she says, dropping an envelope onto my lap. Confused, I pick it up noticing that it has already been opened.

I pull out the contents and start to read. The words send a flurry of different emotions through me. Congratulations. You have been selected as one of the participants for Create 101 Season 5.

I can't even get my eyes to focus on the rest of the words that follow. I am excited that I have actually have a chance. I am also nervous that I won't do well. I am worried that I'll be in a lot of pain but I'll have to hide it.

However, the strongest emotion I feel is scared; scared that Ms. Cha is mad at me. She has been so kind to me. It hurts to know that I have upset her.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I was worried you would try to stop me," I whisper, ashamed of myself.

"Of course I would have stopped you! You can't do this. You will cause so much pain for yourself. You won't be able to dance well and then everyone will scold and make fun of you. Why are you doing this to yourself?" Even though her words are harsh, I can tell that she is saying it because she is concerned.

"I'm nothing without dance. It's my last chance," I say desperately.

"How did you even get accepted? You have trouble walking all day, I find it difficult to understand how you were able to dance well for the audition tape."

"I uh... I submitted a video from before I was injured..." I admit, avoiding making eye contact.

"WHAT?! Are you crazy? You can't dance like that anymore! You were flawless before your injury, but your body is different now. They will notice the second that you start performing."

I just sit quietly, knowing that she is right. What was I thinking?

"I didn't know you were deceitful," she adds after a few seconds.

"Then help me not to be. Train me again. Help me get back to where I was so that it won't be deceitful anymore. Please," I beg.

"Well, I suppose it is too late to do anything else... But we only have three weeks, so don't expect too much."

I can't hold back my smile. It feels so good to not have to keep this from her anymore.

"You made me into an amazing dancer in three months, you can get me back there in three weeks. I believe in you."

"I suppose you were always a quick learner," she sighs.

"We start tonight, after my classes are done," she says before walking out of the room.

I try to rest for a little bit, knowing I am going to need all of my energy later, but I am too excited. I finally have some hope again.

*****

"This is hopeless," Ms. Cha sighs after two hours of practicing. She hands me an ice pack to put on my hip.

"I'm sorry."

"I can't push you as hard as I should, because I don't want you to get hurt. I don't know what to do."

"Don't worry about me. I'll stop if it hurts too bad," I lie. I won't stop until I am back to how I used to be, no matter how much pain I am in. She looks at me skeptically for a few seconds, but then just nods.

"Okay, I'll do things differently tomorrow. For now, let's go home."