Chapter 19

Jisoo POV

Hoseok sits across from me in an awkward silence. Aside from saying hello, neither one of us have talked since we started eating.

I had my first day of vocal training today. It was weird not having Hoseok as my coach. After the long and difficult day I had, I was really looking forward to seeing him again. But now that he is in front of me, I don't know how to behave.

Before I kissed him, we felt comfortable around each other. Even though he is older and my coach, he treated me like a close friend. Now that he has set boundaries between us, it feels like we have lost our connection. He feels like he's just my coach now, which makes my heart ache.

He must have noticed the shift too since he doesn't seem eager to talk either. So we just continue to eat.

"I uh- I should get back to practice. I have a lot to work on," I say as I finish my food a few minutes later. He looks up at me with sad eyes, but just nods in response. I stand up and walk to the door.

"Good night Jisoo," his voice calls out softly from behind me.

"Good night," I say without looking back at him. I don't want to see him upset, especially when there is nothing I can do to fix it.

*****

Today was emotionally draining. It was our second day of vocal training. Even though I practiced for hours last night and thought I had improved, I got criticized even more today.

Dance has always been my passion. Singing was just something I did for fun while in the car or shower. Now it is an integral part of my career, and I suck at it. I don't know what to do besides practice more.

But first, dinner. With Hoseok. I am kind of dreading it. I don't know if I can handle a repeat of yesterday's awkwardness. I take a deep breath and open the door to the studio that Hoseok and I normally eat at.

I am a little relieved when I see that he isn't here yet. I sit around for a few minutes, but I get bored waiting for him. I don't have time to waste.

So I stand up and start practicing the song for the first vocal performance. I know I struggle with the high part, but today the coaches told me that even the steady part needs better voice inflection.

I sing it over and over again, trying to make corrections, but nothing seems to work. I let out a long groan, falling onto my back. Suddenly another voice fills the room.

I sit up to see Hoseok, singing the same song very passionately, and very badly. I can't hold back my laughter. He keeps going, voice cracking harshly on the high notes. By the time he finished the song, I am in tears from laughing so hard.

"See, you are pretty good compared to me. Don't stress so much," he pants, out of breath from his performance. How does he always know exactly what to do to make me feel better?

"I think anyone would sound good compared to you," I giggle, and he pouts playfully.

"Thank you, that made me feel better," I add, hoping to turn his pout into a smile. It works, and I am mesmerized by his beauty.

"Then it was worth the embarrassment," he laughs, moving to sit down against the wall. As I join him, I can feel that the atmosphere between us is less tense.

*****

"You will never sing on a stage like this. It isn't even singing at this point. You're voice is small and uninteresting and you have no range. Do you think that because you were ranked 3rd in the dance stage that you are safe? You are going to get eliminated at this rate, and dancing won't be able to save you. Stop messing around and learn how to use your voice, or just leave because you are wasting my time," Yumi scoffs, barely keeping her voice under control.