Chapter 18

Jisoo POV

It's been a week since I gave Hoseok my number and whenever we aren't together he is texting me. It gives me a little hope that even after this competition is over, we will still talk to each other.

We spend almost all day together now. He coaches my class in the morning, we eat lunch and dinner together, he helps me practice afterwards, and then he comes with me to physical therapy.

I've told him more about myself than anyone else knows. We talk about our families, our past, our worries for the future, everything, and no matter how sad the conversation gets he always knows how to cheer me up again. I'm terrified of losing him. He is my best friend now.

I have Seohyun and Dohee, but I don't get to see them much aside from in our room and at breakfast because we are on different teams now. Seohyun has asked me to practice singing with her a couple times, but I always have plans with Hoseok.

As I look at the performance stage from the wing, I get a little worried. Today is the second dance performance, so we will have another elimination round later today. If I make it, we start the vocal stage tomorrow and I'm definitely not ready.

As soon as I am about to start panicking, I feel strong hands on my shoulders as they massage away the stress.

"I figured I'd find you here. I can see your brain overthinking things. Stop worrying. You're going to do amazing. Now go to hair and makeup," Hoseok whispers into the back of my head before disappearing.

As I walk to the dressing room, I smile. The words were simple, but since they came from him they made me feel better.

*****

An hour later, I am back stage again. Chanri is vibrating next to me out of nervousness.

"Why do we have to be the first group to go?" she whines.

"I like going first. It's better than having to wait anxiously while other teams go. We practiced longer and harder than any of the other groups. We will be fine," I reassure her.

"Oh god, it's starting," Minjee groans as the announcer walks on stage. I don't really pay attention to what she is saying, instead running through the choreo one last time in my head.

"Please welcome the first group to the stage, competing in the song Fake Love by BTS," the announcer says.

I try my best to walk out confidently, but as we get into formation, I start having flashbacks of falling on stage. I'm at the bottom of the ranks. I can't mess up. My team needs to win and get the bonus votes so that I will survive this elimination round.

'What I find most captivating about you is how you channel your emotions into your dance. It is what makes you stand out amongst all of the other trainees.'

Hoseok's words echo through my mind as I try to pull myself together. When the music starts playing, I stop worrying, stop thinking all together and just get lost in the rhythm.

I decide to not perform for the audience, my teammates, or even for Hoseok. I perform for myself. I am going against my parents, my bullies, my doctors, everyone who said I could never be a dancer. I am performing live on a popular TV show, and it might all end after this so I have to enjoy it while it lasts. Everything is going really well, but the song ends all too soon, and then we are off stage again.

My teammates all squeal excitedly as we make our way to the viewing room to watch the next group go. We did really well. The corners of my lips turn up in a satisfied smile.

After watching the second group perform, I let out a deep breath. I think we did better. I just hope that the viewers agree. Now we wait until the ranking announcement to find out who wins. Even if we lose, I will have no regrets. Being a part of this dance was an unforgettable experience.