Chapter 12

Silverpaw woke up as the sun hit her face. She could feel Spiderpaw snoring softly beside her. The patches in the roof leaked dew and rain from last night.

She looked around and saw no other cats except Spiderpaw and her.

"Stormfire?" She blurted making Spiderpaw stir.

Her father promised he'd return with the other Silver Havocs. Where were they? Did he forget?

"Spiderpaw?" She nudged him softly.

He blinked sleepily at her hen streaked and yawned. "Morning, Silverpaw." Then he looked around to see the empty cabin. "Wasn't Stormfire—"

"Yes." She said Sre worriedly. "Where did everyone go?"

"I don't think they ever came." He said darkly.

Silverpaw paced. "We have to go back. What if the clan lost? Did anyone die?"

"Stormfire told us to stay here." Spiderpaw said.

"But something's not right." She replied, still pacing. "Our clan is in trouble."

Spiderpaw looked at her. "What are you suggesting?"

"Spiderpaw! We have to go! We have to go and save them! Something is wrong and Stormfire didn't return!" She looked at him, desperately.

He shook his head. "Your father told me to protect you."

"While we were in here!" She yowled. "We have to go, now!"

He hesitated for long heartbeats then he nodded. "I'm still going to watch over you, ok?"

Silverpaw touched his nose. "I can take care of myself."

Spiderpaw gave her a doubtful look then nodded.

The apprentices slipped through the wooden flap and ran all the way to camp. The scent of fear, blood and clans washed over them.

"Great Starclan..." Spiderpaw whispered.

Silverpaw ran forward, determined to see what happened.

She slipped under the ferns and brambles in camp and instantly regretted it. She saw Willowpaw, with her nicked ear, lying on the ground, her eyes shut tightly.

She saw several unmoving bodies beside Cloudstar's den.

Cloudstar himself was covered in dirt and dry blood that she hardly recognized him.

She turned and saw Spiderpaw looking towards his family and she touched her nose against his cheek. "Go, Spiderpaw."

He looked at her gratefully then bounded off.

Silverpaw padded up to Cloudstar. His eyes were glazed with fear and hurt. He looked tired and wounded.

"Cloudstar." She dipped her head.

He looked at her, his ears drooping. "Silverpaw. Thank Starclan you're safe."

Silverpaw blinked at him. "Why me?"

"They took every single silver tabby we have. You're our last one." He replied.

"Pelt doesn't matter. And doesn't the other clans have silver tabbies?"

Cloudstar nodded. "They took all theirs too."

"What did they do to them?"

Cloudstar looked toward the pile of limp bodies. "Some they killed."

Silverpaw looked at the bodies and silently padded over to them.

She saw several different cats she didn't know. She wondered what it might feel like if your relative died in another clan and you never got to burry them.