I Am Not Useless!

Izuku awoke to the sound of Mitsuki yelling and Katsuki falling off the ladder to the top bunk. He jumped to his feet as the ash-blonde mumbled something about blowing up their mother. Izuku pulled Katsuki upright and started getting ready for the day ahead -- today, he and his adoptive brother would try out for U.A. high-school's hero course!

After getting dressed in a black sweater and jeans, he stuffed a green tracksuit into his backpack and rushed to the kitchen. He greeted Mitsuki and took the waffle she handed him, inhaling it as he sprinted to the bathroom, almost trampling a zombified Katsuki on his way there. He brushed his teeth and made a half-hearted attempt at flattening his wild green hair. Katsuki didn't even bother brushing his teeth or his hair -- he was going to be late if he didn't leave now.

"Izuku, wait up!" Katsuki shouted after the greenette as he stumbled through the doorway, gasping. Izuku stopped at the end of the driveway to wait for his brother, who was most certainly not a morning person. "How do you get ready so quickly?" Katsuki panted, as he had been running full-speed around the house trying to find his shoes for the past 5 minutes.

"Because I always put my shoes in the same place as my backpack," Izuku replied, starting to walk again. "And I always put my backpack right next to the door. You should try it some time!"

"Don't feel like it," Katsuki grumbled, slouching down the sidewalk after Izuku.

"Jeez, Kacchan, your posture is horrible. I'd like to see you do hero work with scoliosis," Izuku joked. Katsuki snorted in reply.

"S'not my fault I walk like this. It's 'cause I'm always having to yell at shorties."

"Why do you feel the need to bend down to their level, anyways? Shouldn't you emphasize your height advantage to be more intimidating?"

"Nah, getting right in their face is scarier. Makes 'em feel like there's nowhere to run, y'know what I mean?"

"You are way too good at this sort of thing."

"I told'ya yesterday I'm an asshole, didn't I?"

"I was well aware of that fact long before you so kindly informed me. Your statement was only confirmation to my suspicions."

"You're starting to sound like a teacher."

"Maybe if my quirk is too 'Villainous' for hero work, I could do that inatead!" Izuku meant it as a joke, but Katsuki took it seriously.

"You will fulfill your dream, Izuku," Katsuki said sternly. "And if they don't let you in because of your quirk, I'll blow up the whole godamn school building."

"Kacchan, please don't say things like that," Izuku requested almost pleadingly. "What if someone heard the last part out of context? They'd think we're terrorists or something!"

"Everyone around here knows my voice when they hear it. They know I'm not actually going to blow up the school building," Katsuki retorted.

"Yes, but what if we weren't around here?"

"They'd hear you telling me off."

"What if you were talking to me on the phone?"

"Just lay off it, Izu! We're almost there," Katsuki grumbled, his demeanour hardening as other people their age came into view. Despite Izuku's constant protests, Katsuki is very protective of Izuku and often scares off anyone who tries to talk to him.

As Izuku was thinking about this and hoping his brother would let him make friends with their classmates if they got into U.A, he tripped over a rock. He was walking behind and a bit to the side of Katsuki, so the taller ash-blonde teen took no notice. A pink-cheeked brunette did notice, however, and grabbed his forearm, causing him to float away from the ground. She pressed her hands together, and he landed on his feet.

"I caught you with my quirk!" She explained, smiling. "Sorry for using it without asking -- I figured you probably wouldn't mind."

"O-oh, of course not! Thank you!" Izuku stumbled slightly over his words, as he wasn't used to talking to people other than the Bakugous. "What's your name?"

As the brunette introduced herself, Katsuki turned around to see who the female voice was speaking to, and jumped a little when he saw Izuku shaking her hand.

"Well, Midoriya-kun, I hope I see you in class!" Gravity girl said, walking off. Before she could enter the building, however, Katsuki grabbed her by the hair. She squeaked as he pulled her around to face him.

"What do you want with him?" He growled, sticking his neck out to look her right in the eye.

"Kacchan!! Stop! She was just introducing herself!" Izuku ran up to Katsuki and the brunette, placing his hand on his brother's shoulder.

"You better not be lying to me, Deku," Katsuki said over his shoulder. He turned back to glare at the short, round-faced girl before shoving her through the door. She ran off, shaking. She paused as she heard Izuku hiss, "Don't call me that. I am not useless!" And the voice of the blonde one, now sounding panicked, "I'm sorry, I- wait, Zuku, please, you know I didn't mean --" At this he let out an exasperated sigh as Izuku walked off and growled something incomprehensible through his teeth, something about "stupid Katsuki" and "you ruin everything for him". She kind of felt bad, but she didn't know who she should feel bad for. Her thoughts were interrupted by a nervous voice addressing her.

"I'm really sorry about him, Ururaka-san! He doesn't trust me to stand up for myself, and doesn't want me to associate with toxic people so he just -- doesn't really let me associate with anyone. Not that you're toxic! I just-"

"It's okay! I get what you mean. He seemed like he meant the best for you,"

"He just has a weird way of showing it," They said simultaneously. The two were silent for a moment, then burst out laughing. "Come on, Midoriya-kun! We should get going -- we don't want to be late!"

And so they were off to take the written exam. It wasn't too difficult, and Izuku was confident that he did well. As he was headed to the auditorium where they would go over the practical exam, Katsuki confronted him.

"I'm sorry I called you Deku," He muttered, avoiding eye contact. "I have no excuse... but I really didn't mean it. So please forgive me, Izuku..."

"I know you didn't mean it. Just please stop trying to shield me from all social interaction. If there's somebody being mean to me, I can deal with them myself," Izuku replied. He was putting up a stern front, but their argument had been gnawing at him all throughout the written test and he was secretly thanking God that his brother wasn't angry with him.

"Thank you," Katsuki breathed, embracing the freckled greenette. Izuku hugged him back, happy that even if he couldn't make any friends at school, he would always have Kacchan. Unknown to the two brothers, Ururaka was watching from around a corner. She was surprised at how close the two were -- their parents were probably friends before they were born, she thought. The idea of them being siblings never crossed her mind -- they didn't look anything like eachother. Which, of course, is perfectly reasonable as they aren't actually blood relatives. Izuku and Katsuki started walking off, and Ururaka went to follow suit when she noticed a bandage on Izuku's right hand. I wonder what that's from, she thought to herself as she headed towards the auditorium.

A/N: Hello again! Sorry if the chapters I write are too short. I want to pre-make a bunch of them so if something comes up or I get writer's block I can still update consistently. I decided I'm going to update every Saturday -- right at midnight, if I can! If updating once a week is too spread out for you guys, let me know and I'll see what I can do. Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed!! Later!