Too little too late

Hannam the Hill -

Namjoon was deep in thoughts all the way back to the dorm. He felt bad. He felt terrible for taking his frustration out on Na-Ri. She looks confused and sad. She hadn't done anything wrong; she just happened to have caught his brother's eye and he couldn't blame him.

But out of all the men out there, why did it have to be him? Him that seduced and stole his ex-girlfriend from him?

------------------------------------------------------

Flashback 5 years ago - Yongsan International School of Seoul -

Namjoon and Ji-Soo used to go to the same school, but since Ji-Soo was 2 years older, he had already graduated. But while they were together, they were inseparable, and mostly up to no good as young boys would be. They were known as "The Kims", but Namjoom was more tame than Ji-Soo as he was a trainee at BigHit and had to make sure not to stir too much trouble and avoid potential scandals.

He had a girlfriend he loved uncontrollably; her name was Jasmine. Jasmine Tucker. She was an American student from California. She was in South Korea as she wanted to major in Korean. They were in different classes as he was majoring in Music, but they met on the first day of school. For him, it was love at first sight; for her, it took a bit longer to accept his feelings due to the language barrier.

Although he was young, Namjoon knew how to treat the girl he loved. He never forgot her birthday, never forgot Valentine's day, never forgot her little sister's birthday. He was caring and wanted to be responsible for her. Once he was in love, he'd put his all in a relationship. He never held back. They were happy for a while.

Jasmine was beautiful and of course, Ji-Soo had his eye on her even though she was her brother's. Ji-Soo had joined the Seoul National University, but still found time to roam around the Yongsan school. The thing about Ji-Soo was once he wanted something, he'd to have it, whether it was morally acceptable or not. 

Jasmine did not see anything wrong with Ji-Soo's skinship with her as it seemed like it was a thing in Korea and he was her boyfriend's older brother after all. When word came to Namjoon through some of his friends that his girl was being too friendly with his brother, he respectfully asked her about it. She assured him that nothing was going on and he chose to trust her. He didn't dare to question his Hyung about it out of respect for the older boy.

Weeks passed and Jasmine behavior gradually changed, she seemed more distant with Namjoon, she'd always be on her phone texting and giggling, she almost looked bored when she was with her boyfriend. Namjoon was at a loss, hurting. "Jasmine, is everything ok? You haven't been yourself lately..." he tried to inquire. "Oh no, I'm good Joon, nothing to worry about", she said with a faint smile, planting a peck on his lips.

He wanted to believe her so badly. She had become his everything. He was working hard as a trainee but he always made sure that any moment not spent in school was spent with her. But lately, she was less and less available.

After a few more weeks of this behavior and more reports coming from his friends about her closeness with Ji-Soo, Namjoon went to Jasmine. "Jaz, I keep hearing the same rumors over and over again about you being way too close to my brother. Please put yourself in my shoes; how would you feel if it was me being close to your best friend or any other girl? I love you and it hurts me to see you so changed and so close to him, more than me. He is my Hyung and I respect him, but he can be ...overstepping his boundaries at times. You're my girlfriend, not his. Why are you behaving like this?", he pleaded.

An argument between the two ensued. They both raised their voices at each other, Jasmine barking at Namjoon that he should stop being so jealous and possessive, and Namjoon fighting back the tears telling her that this can't go on and he'd rather break up. Jasmine was temporarily taken aback before she stormed out and left a heartbroken Namjoon stand there on his own.