The Maze

The next thing I know, it's raining cats and dogs. I don't even know where that saying came from but I know it was for this kind of scenario.

Thomas and I followed Newt to the sleeping quarters which was under shelter.

For shacks made out of sticks and twigs, they keep out a lot of rain.

"What happens if the doors close before they aren't back?" I asked Newt. He looked at me.

"Then they're dead. No-one ever survives a night in the Maze."

"What happens to them?" I asked.

"We call them Grievers. No-ones ever seen one and lived to tell about it though so we don't know what they look like." He explained.

"I can't tell you anymore than I have already." he cut me off from asking another question.

"And anyways, they'll make it."

<**#**>

Everyone was standing around the doors, waiting to see if Minho and Alby could make it back before the doors closed. The rain stopped about half an hour ago.

"Can't we send someone after them?" Thomas pleaded.

"It's against the rules." Gally answered. Newt glanced between Gally and Thomas before adding,

"Can't risk losing anyone else."

I was standing in between Gally and Thomas when I saw it.

"There!"

I could only see one walking figure though.

"No, something's wrong. They're not going to make it." Newt said, as if he was reading my mind.

"Come on, Minho! you can do it!" I yelled.

Many of the boys started yelling encouragements. It only seemed to spur him on the tiniest bit and their speed increased slightly.

I felt the wind start to blow and I had to cover my eyes with my hands to avoid dirt getting in them.

I heard the old gears and machinery start up and I yelled louder. The doors started to close.

Just when I thought Minho could get them both out he did the unthinkable.

He dropped Alby and ran.

He made it through the doors in a matter of seconds.

It was like time slowed completely and the noise drowned out and all I could hear was the pounding of my heart and the deep breathes I was taking through my mouth.

This was my chance.

Everything cleared suddenly and the doors were going to close in seconds.

I started running, the doors getting closer together. I could hear the voices of the Gladers behind me. They were yelling for me to stop.

I didn't listen. I was halfway through the massive stone doors and they were pressing against both sides of my body.

I made it through with about a second to spare. The sound of the doors closing seemed to echo through the Maze.

I was in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Media=

Photo= Character Poster

Video= "Movie Clip"

Goal is

480 reads