Chapter Fifteen: Trouble

The loud slap of a textbook on one of the desks rang out in the normally silent Library. Beth sheepishly looked up to mouth an apology to the very disgruntled old woman with half-moon spectacles. In response, said woman simply scowled and turned back to the outdated computer monitor where she struggled to find the start button. 

Rolling her eyes, Beth took a seat relatively far away from everyone else ( everyone else being two other people) and began to read a boring copy of Nancy Drew. She'd never really been impressed by the character in her old life, and her distaste for the mystery series definitely carried on over to her new life. The words in front of her barely registered in her mind, it being rather focused on Edward Cullen's shitty attitude and her twin sister's lack of communication with her. Not that, it wasn't also Beth's fault. But the reason she was in the library today of all days happened to be solely Bella's doing.

Liz knew that she probably didn't mean to do it, because Bella wasn't like that- but when Beth had went to join her usual crew at the lunch table, she'd gotten a rather unwelcoming welcome. Lauren had been glaring ( as always ), Jessica and Mike were sneering, Eric didn't even bother to look at her and Bella had her head stuffed in her arms that crossed over her chest. The only person that greeted her with her usual smile had been sweet and pure, Angela. And yes, even TYler was frowning and giving her a side glance which portrayed all the disgust he clearly held for her appearance. 

Beth decided pretty early that she really didn't want to get into any drama, which is what Jess had seemed to be gearing up to do, Liz quickly fled the overfilled cafeteria and went to the last place she knew she'd feel somewhat comfortable. The library. 

Now, she sat in isolated silence, contemplating whether or not she should drop the current book and pick up an encyclopedia - mainly the letters T-Z version. Releasing a rather heavy sigh, she stood to gather her belongings as the end of lunch bell rang. 

The door creaked as she held the door open for the last student, who walked off without saying anything. Scoffing, Beth walked on to her now least favorite subject of the day- Biology- with the most eligible vampire bachelor, Mr. Brood. No doubt he had noticed her absence during lunch, but like he'd been doing for the past two weeks, and was likely to say nothing but glance at her every few minutes. 

Of course, the staring bothered her immensely, but she kept her mouth shut about it. Which, considering her foul mood today, was not going to be a possibility if he did. No, as a matter of fact, she'd be more than likely to cuss at him or go off like the ticking time bomb she was.

Sure enough, Mr. Brood was present and his stare was every curious- but to her utmost surprise- after the initial glance, he studiously faced forward and began taking unnecessary notes. The rest of the day thankfully passed in a blur for Beth and then she was finally home. 

"Girls!" Charlie called up to them when he got home, in his hand was a six pack of beer as he walked into the kitchen. 

"I'm here. Beth's taking a nap upstairs." Bells replied softly from her spot in the living room. Charlie walked over, a beer in hand, 

"What's up, Bells?" He inquired after noticing a sad frown maring her face. Bella sighed heavily as she crossed her arms,

"Beth and I had an argument the other day and......" She gulped, " I think I really messed up, dad. I just don't know what to do."

Charlie took a sip of his beer, "Is this about that Eduardo guy? Dr. Cullen's kid?" At Bella's nod, he leaned back to get cozy, this was going to be a long conversation.

"From what she's told me, Bells, it definitely seems like you're in the wrong here. What you need to understand is that although you're somewhat older than Beth, you can't make that decision for her. She's her own person, you know?" Bella nodded, her bottom lip tucked under her teeth.

"No one, except for myself, Renee and maybe Phil have the authority to say what's what and who's where. And even then, that's because we are responsible for you as your guardians. Beth is old enough to determine what she's in to..." Charlie grimaced, "you're gonna have to accept that. It's not always gonna be just you and her."

Bella groaned, her hands going up to cover her face, "I know, but how do I even correct this situation? She won't even talk to me! And she doesn't sit with us at lunch anymore....Ugh!"

"Have you apologized?" Charlie asked and when Bella shook her head, he took a long sip of his beer. "Maybe you should start there." And with that the salt and pepper haired police sheriff left the living room. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Beth," Charlie knocked on her door. Getting up from her fetal position, Beth gave up on trying to nap- her mind running wild. Opening it up, Charlie gave her a disgruntled look,

"You need to let Bella apologize or this entire situation is gonna get outta hand, okay? You guys are sisters-" 

"Okay, dad." Beth interrupted him, "I get it." 

Charlie let out a huff of air, exasperated at both his daughters' stubbornness. "Billy and Jake are coming over on Wednesday to watch the game," he informed her.

Shaking her head, Liz reminded him of her, Angela's and Bella's trip to Port Angeles on Wednesday night. "Why don't you go down to them this time?"

Charlie contemplated, "Well, I suppose we could go and badger Harry to use his big screen....and maybe Sue will make her famous fish fry." At the prospect of free food, Charlie had a new light in his eyes, "Okay, I guess it could work."

"Do you need any money for dress shopping?" He asked, already reaching for his wallet in his back pocket. Beth shook her head,

"Uh, I'm not going to the dance."

Her dad cocked an eyebrow, "Why? Nobody asked you yet?"

"No, it's girls choice and I just don't really want to go. Angela just wants me there to help her choose a dress."

Her father held out fifty dollars for her anyways, ignoring her protests, "Here, buy yourself something nice. Look like you need it."

Beth stood, stunned in the middle of her doorway as she watched Charlie stuff the money in her hands and then go back downstairs. Even though she protested, he still gave her money. Liz supposed it was because he'd been so busy these past few days and brushed it off as him trying to make up for his absence. Nevertheless, she was grateful all the same.