Chapter Nineteen: How Did I Get Here?

"Do you want to explain to me what you were thinking going off on your own, in a city you don't even know?" Edward inquired with a perfectly arched eyebrow. His covered elbows rested on the off white table cloth, his sweater wrinkling as he did so.

Beth pursed her lips, "No....."

Edward sighed as he pinched the bridge of his nose, completely exasperated with the girl in front of him.

Before she could explain herself or ask him a question, Amber, the waitress came back- with her food in hand and boobies exposed way more than in her previous appearance.

As gentlemanly as possible, Edward kept his gaze averted towards Beth as the seductive waitress leaned over the table way too much. Her 'assets' were nearly spilling into Beth's lasagne.

"Thank you," she mumbled, taking her fork up to eat.

Amber barely looked her way, "So, are you sure I can't get you anything? Anything at all?" The woman looked like she was desperately trying to get into his pants. It was so obvious, Beth had a hard time holding in her laughter while she dug in to her food.

"I'm absolutely positive." Edward replied, uncrossing his arms and leaning back- a subtle move to remove himself from her god awful and extremely overpowering smell of her perfume. If that kind of scent could be classified as one, at least.

Amber sighed, unsatisfied, before leaving the two alone. Beth smirked, cutting through layers and layers of creamy, cheesy lasagne. She nearly moaned at the taste, the mix of meat and cheese on her taste buds was almost overwhelming.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Edward gazing at her in curiosity and frustration.

"So," she swallowed the bite, "Don't you want to explain why you knew where I was?" She, of course, already knew the answer but wanted to see him squirm.

He definitely seemed uncomfortable at the question, arms going back to cover his chest, giving off a closed off vybe which starkly contrasted to his earlier attitude.

"Next." He made a dismissing gesture.

Beth laughed evilly on the inside, "Then how about why you had been following me for the entire day?"

Edward tensed imperceptibly, almost going unnoticed by the teen seated across from him. Almost.

He gave a stiff chuckle, "I don't know what you're talking about." Looking away, Edward tried his hardest to get inside her mind. But to no avail, his attempts were just as unsuccessful as his last 450 other times.

"Don't you?" Liz took a bite, head cocking to the left as she teased.

"Even if I did," Edward muttered lowly, his gaze suddenly burning through her forehead, "Nobody would believe you." His voice began to take on a dangerous edge. Beth gulped deeply, for the third time in his presence- she felt threatened.

She carefully put the fork down, mindful not to make too much noise and draw attention to their table from the other customers. "I wasn't planning on telling anyone," she admitted, voice just as quiet.

"Weren't you?" He asked with the same mocking tone.

They must have looked like a couple from everyone else's view, with how close they were leaning over the table to one another. Sensing this, Edward leaned away slightly, "Are you done?"

Beth too, moved away and cleared her throat. As much as she wanted to eat the delicious plate of food in front of her, her appetite had been suddenly blown away by an invisible wind.

Nodding reluctantly, she crossed her utensils and stood, Edward following her after placing way too much money on the table. Beth smiled, Amber would certainly appreciate the large tip he left her and also read way too much into things.