12. Heartbreak

San's POV

Seeing as how Frisk and Shift were making their way through Hotlands together, according to the TV, I decided I could tell Shift how I felt at MTT Resort.

I teleported there quickly, just in time for them to turn the corner.

"Hey, guys. Wanna grab a bite to eat?" I asked, hoping I didn't sound conspicuous.

They agreed as we walked in together. We were just sitting down when Frisk laughed a little.

"Shift, you still have spider webs on your jacket." she chuckled.

Shift, embarrassed, ran to the bathroom to handle the issue.

>time skip<

I looked at Frisk, my eye flickering. "Like I said the first timeline, If I hadn't made that promise, you'd have been dead as soon as you left the ruins."

Frisk began to break down. What was this?

"Sans, I'm sorry. Shift talked to me about it and I do regret it. I just... I want to get everyone a happy ending, and when I can't, I get frustrated. Then I kill. I wish I could take back every single time I swung a knife!"

I wasn't expecting this. Gently I took Frisk's hand. "Hey, I understand. I... I understand that now. If you'd have said something, I could have helped you with whatever it is you're trying to do."

Shift walked into the restaurant. She saw me holding Frisk's hand as she was crying. her face turned cold. I realized with a start how this looked.

@&%$.

Shift started to cry. "Sans? What are you... how could you possibly like them?! They killed everyone! How can you forgive them for that?!" She ran out of the restaurant, sobbing.

"Shift wait!" I tried to follow her, but she had disappeared.

What now?

Frisk walked up behind me. She looked around, sighed, and patted me on the shoulder before heading to continue on her way to New Home.

I teleported around the entire underground, trying to find her.

But she was nowhere to be found.

Undyne yelled out to me. "Sans! What's wrong?"

According to Papyrus, Shift and Undyne were best friends now, thanks to him. Who else might know where she was?

"Undyne! Have you seen Shift? She got mad at me and now she's disappeared!"

Undyne looked a little scared. "Disappeared? Sans, what did you do?"

Trying to keep my words clear, I explained. "Frisk was upset about something, so I tried to comfort her. Shift walked in, thought I liked Frisk and ran off! I"

Undyne shook her head slowly. "For Asgore's Sake, Sans." she sighed. "Shift had a huge crush on you, and you just broke her heart." Undyne's words hit me like a truck.

Was that what was bothering Shift? Was she jealous of Frisk? Mentally I smacked myself in the forehead, wondering how I didn't notice sooner.

"Sans? You okay?" Undyne asked.

"Do you know where I can find her? I need to explain to her that it's her  I like, not Frisk!"

Undyne slowly shook her head. She had no idea.

I teleported home, to my room. I face planted into my messy bed, trying not to cry.

----------------------------------------------

Frisk's POV

>Time Skip<

I turned back before Asgore's throne room. I had to do all the stuff to get everyone a happy ending. Well, almost everyone. Arriving in Snowdin, I found Papyrus trying to convince Sans to come out of his room, even trying to bribe him with ketchup. Undyne just looked at me and gave me her letter and said to give it to Alphys before returning to trying to help Papyrus.

I went back to Snowdin Forest, just now grabbing the snowman piece, but as I returned I thought I saw Shift teleporting out of Grillby's, a gallon bottle of chocolate syrup in hand.

I sighed. I wouldn't be the only one not getting a happy ending, would I?

I went through all the stuff with Alphys, before returning to the last corridor. I sighed. I didn't have anything else I could do. I stepped into the throne room.