14. The last happy ending

Sans' POV

I had lost her. I fell to the ground sobbing.

Asriel, still holding the monster souls, patted me on the back. I looked up. Frisk knelt by her soul, taking out her own.

"What're you doing, kid?"

Frisk's soul came into contact with Shifts. A red energy surrounded the two.

"Chara! What are you doing? You can't sacrifice your soul for them!" Asriel begged.

Frisk chuckled. "My determination... It's not really mine, you know. It's something that overtook my soul when I came down here. I don't know where it came from, maybe the previous humans, but It's not mine. I'm giving her half of it. Half of my determination will be enough save her. There won't be any more resets."

Shift's soul filled with determination. Frisk's soul slowly turned green.

Shift took in a sharp breath.

"Shift! Oh my Asgore, you're okay!" Sans helped her sit up. Her eyes filled with tears as she looked at him.

"I heard every word. I-I love you too." Shift broke down sobbing as they hugged.

Frisk and Asriel looked at each other and rolled their eyes.

"Alright, lovebirds. I need space to release the monster souls." Asriel said.

The two backed up as the monster souls flew out from Asriel. Everything faded to black.

Shift's POV

Waking up, I saw Asriel had reverted to being Flowey. He had a strange look on his face, a mixture of panic and hope.

I blushed suddenly as I realized Sans and I had been hugging as we slept.

The fact that we were together completely didn't register for me.

I jumped up, waking the skeleton I loved so dearly.

Sans made a questioning groan before sitting up.

Undyne and Alphys were whispering to each other excitedly. I knew for a fact they were shipping us hardcore.

Frisk ran to Toriel's open arms, laughing. I flinched, remembering the human laughing like that right before they killed my Toriel, but my concern passed.

Suddenly, I felt a wave of fear and contempt as everyone looked behind me at Flowey.

Flowey looked guilty for what he'd done.

Flowey's POV

(Whenever Flowey says Chara, he's actually talking about Frisk.)

What was this? I couldn't feel guilty! I shouldn't feel anything! I had released all the souls, so why did I still...

Feel?

Realizing they were all still glaring at me, I panicked and said the first thing to come to mind.

"I'm sorry!"

And I was. How?

"Like we believe that, weed! You just tried to kill all of us! Why should we believe you?" Undyne was almost hysterical.

Sans looked at me with pure hatred in his eyes. "I know a way." He held out his hand, readying his blue magic.

"Smiley, I don't have a soul! That won't-" I was cut off by Sans pulling his hand back.

Holy !?@&.

There, before me, was an empty soul.

No. Mostly empty. At the bottom sat a tiny bit of white.

Chara (Frisk) piped in. "Flowey! You do have a soul! I have an idea why."

"And since when did you become an expert on souls?" I couldn't help myself.

Chara looked at me with a stare that froze me solid.

"I think because you didn't use the souls to break the barrier, some of their magic was left behind." Chara explained.

Everyone looked at Alphys for her opinion.

"W-well, monster souls are m-made of love, partially. Not using the souls probably left residual emotions and love in you, r-rekindling your soul." Alphys stammered.

Asgore asked her what she meant by "Rekindle."

Alphys' face took an expression of pure terror.

"Uh- um, ah-"

Sans came to her rescue. "Remember the determination projects Alphys just made public knowledge before Papyrus brought all of us here? With the amalgamates?"

Everyone nodded, except Toriel, who seemed lost.

"Well, to hold those souls, Al tried putting determination into a flower. The flower in question, however, had a monsters dust on it. It essentially revived the monster, but with no compassion or love."

Everyone looked pointedly at me, except for Papyrus, who in an uncharacteristically quiet voice asked:

"Who's dust, Sans?"

Sans was silent.

I took a deep breath.

"Asriel Dreemurr." I said.