15. Revival

Sans' POV

"Asriel Dreemurr." Flowey sighed.

The next few minutes went by about as you'd expect.

Toriel and Asgore started crying,

Alphys explained the science of the whole thing to Undyne and Paps.

Flowey tried to register that he could feel again.

Frisk excitedly asked Alphys if that meant Asriel could be completely revived.

"W-well, maybe. If we could somehow recreate his body and tune it to his magical signature, we may be able to separate them into two entities." Al seemed to be trying to work out all the logistics of the necessary procedure.

Toriel's tears slowed. "Do it. Please, Miss... Alphys, was it? Please, I am begging you. Bring back my son."

Frisk's POV

About a week after fighting Asriel, Alphys got started on reviving him. Of course, I helped out. This was it. Getting Asriel and Flowey's happy ending.

The first issue was recreating Asriel's body. His dust was long gone, so that was out. While Alphys and Sans puzzled over that, my job was to try to strengthen the partial soul in Flowey.

It was difficult.

Flowey, for the most part, was still cynical and bratty. But I wouldn't give up. I was still determined.

My soul, once again green with kindness, had a faint red aura around it.

It wasn't for a month of playing, talking and helping Flowey that we first got real hope of success.

One night, as Flowey sat on the dresser by my bed at Asgore's home, he woke me up.

His voice was what got me excited. It sounded like Asriel again.

Blinking out the last bits of sleep, I called his name.

"Asriel?"

Flowey's face whipped around to face me. He looked like he was on the verge of tears.

"Frisk! I don't know how, but I'm conscious again! Do you know what this means? I can come back!" (He knows Frisk isn't Chara by now.)

I tried to hug him but the flowers face reverted to that of Flowey as he dodged back.

"Get away from me! I don't want your hugs! I'm Flowey, not Asriel!" He spat out.

I was stunned. Flowey had taken over again so quickly. Upset, I tried to go back to bed.

Sans' POV

We were so close! We'd been working almost nonstop on the project for five months. The only pause we'd had was for Alphys' and Undyne wedding.

After that, I'd been working even harder than ever. It reminded me of my time working for dad.

Dad.

I pushed that out of mind, one problem at a time, Sans.

If it weren't for Shift cheering me on and making me take breaks, I'd likely have had a full breakdown by now. But we were almost finished.

The Rebuilder was ready. All we needed was Asriel's soul to fully return so we could tune the machine to his magic signature.

The machine was my idea, and I was really proud of it. By studying the exact makeup of monster dust, Alphys and I managed to synthesize it and make it willing to build itself to clone a Whimsun who volunteered.

It lacked a soul but we expected that. after all, we had a soul ready. After the Whimsun lived out its short life cycle we were confident.

We could do it.

Frisk's POV

Flowey has had six episodes of Asriel taking over their shared body, each lasting longer than the last. By the sixth, Asriel had lasted a whole day. He was ready.

We all gathered at the lab.

Toriel,

Asgore,

Sans,

Shift,

Alphys,

Flowey,

And me.

Asgore was still uncertain. "Alphys, are you sure this will work? What if it kills Flowey and destroys what's left of Asriel?"

Alphys nodded in the affirmative and put Flowey in the machine.

Sans checked the dials and screens and pressed the activation button.

Light filled the two chambers of the machine.

A silhouette took shape in the rebuilding chamber. The machine stopped. Sans walked slowly to the door, releasing its occupant.

Asriel stepped out in the clothes we left in there for him. He looked around.

He was about to say something before being captured in a goat sandwich by his parents.

Alphys helped Flowey out of his chamber. Due to the process, Flowey still retained his emotions. He looked around, confused, but hopeful.

Asgore and Toriel finally released Asriel from the hug. They all seemed on the verge of tears.

Shift and Sans held to each other, smiling at the happy reunion.