16. Understanding

3rd person POV

A year has passed since Asriel's revival, and much of the underground has changed.

Asgore and Toriel reunited and declared that humans were no longer to be considered enemies.

Papyrus met Mettaton in person and they have started dating.

But one thing is the same as it was since the first pacifist run.

Frisk's POV

I can't stop thinking about it. We've grown so close over so long, and I can't get the idea out of my head.

I look across the breakfast table at my best friend. The only one who really understands me.

Asriel was the only other one who knew what having the power to reset is like.

The monotony,

The curiosity.

Like me, he had aged through the resets. Every pacifist ending let him grow older alongside me.

I still remember the first pacifist run, when I met him. When he had told me to leave him to return to being Flowey. I wanted to do something for him, anything.

So I reset. Over and over, trying to save him, until I got frustrated.

And killed. It was such a rush. I felt unstoppable. I went through everything until I found Flowey. My best friend.

I couldn't stop Chara as they cut him down. As he cried for mercy.

Chara had some scheme to get me to stop, but I was too much of a coward. everytime, I'd reset immediately after.

I tried to be kind again, but I got angry and killed again. The rush of power overtook me again and so it went.

Reset after reset.

The only thing that remained constant was that Asriel understood my pain.

He always understood and forgave me like I forgave him.

And sometimes I feel like he's the only one who exists besides me.

Who I care about.

Asriel's POV

Frisk cleared her throat.

"Toriel, Asgore? Can I talk to Asriel alone for a bit?" She asked.

Mom and Dad walked out of the kitchen looking at each other.

Sometimes I get the uneasy feeling they can read each other's minds.

I looked back at Frisk. My soul fluttered a tiny bit. I tried to calm it.

Don't be ridiculous, Azzy. Just get over it. She's your best friend, nothing more. I thought to myself.

"Yeah, Frisk?" I replied, trying to be casual.

She looked to the side. "D-Do you like me? I-I mean, as more than a friend."

I stopped, my spoonful of cereal dropping to the table. that came from nowhere! how was I supposed to say yes after she asked the question so suddenly?

My soul was doing somersaults.

I took a deep breath, trying to figure out if Mom and Dad were listening in.

Here goes nothing.

"Yes."

Frisk's face turned red as her soul used to be.

She tried to compose herself. So did I.

"I..." she stopped, walking over to me.

She hugged me tightly, like she was afraid of losing me.

My entire body froze, before I hugged her back.

No words needed to be spoken. We both knew what the other was feeling.