13. Love vs. L.O.V.E.

Frisk's POV

A familiar vine shot out and wrapped around all the monsters who I once again considered my friends.

"YOU IDIOT! You knew I would be here, Chara! I thought you would have warned them, at least." Flowey sneered at me.

The jars for the souls rose from the floor, but two were empty for some reason, instead of just one. Flowey looked just as confused as I felt. Then his expression morphed to rage.

"Where's the Justice soul? Where did you put it? He screeched at Asgore.

"I have no idea who you are, but you clearly want to harm us. I, uh, will not tell you where it is!" Asgore stated bravely.

"What you really mean is you have no idea where it is, don't you? Trashbag! You must have taken it. I know you did!" Flowey shouted deliriously at Sans before turning back to me.

"Not that it matters! I'll just take your soul, then." A vine sprung towards me with lightning speed.

I readied myself for the hit.

But it never came.

Shift had thrown herself into the attack to save me.

Flowey smoothly absorbed their soul, not minding he hadn't hit his original target.

"Shift!" Sans teleported out of the vines to her lifeless body.

"Oh? What is it Sans? Normally you don't react if I kill your precious friends." Flowey laughed.

Sans held Shift's body, eye sockets shut. (Somehow.)

"They were more than a friend to me, weed. I... I loved them!" Sans yelled.

"Oh, boo @&(@ing hoo! When will you learn? The only love that matters in this world is L.O.V.E!"

Flowey absorbed the rest of the souls as well as all of the monsters' souls too, leaving only me, Sans, Shift's body, and "The Absolute God of Hyperdeath."

Sans spoke up. "Are you ready to have a bad time, Kid? Because believe it or not, I've been holding back before."

What? He was holding back all of those genocide fights? 

Was he !&%$ing joking?

"I was scared of what I might do if I really went at it while fighting. But now...

I care too much to go easy on you!"

Sans opened his eyes. They were blazing an electric light blue.

Both of them.

Sans sent thousands of attacks at Asriel.

-1 (Asriel has one less soul than normal, so he doesn't have infinite defense.)

An idea came to me that I was surprised I'd never had before. I grabbed Sans' arm. "Don't kill him! If we spare him, I think Shift can be saved, along with everyone else!"

Sans looked at me. I could see the pain in his eyes. Reluctantly, he deactivated his Gaster blasters.

The fight wasn't that hard, as always. Sans just teleported out of the way of attacks.

Soon enough, there was only one soul left to save.

I tried to reach out to Shift.

"Why bother? I don't even belong in this world. Nobody wants me here." She said.

"Sans! I can't get through to her! You try!"

Sans turned to the lost soul. "Shift! Please! Listen to me! I think you belong! Shift I love you!"

Shift's face lit up, before immediately fading away.

<time skip>

Asriel gave up. He was about to break the barrier, when I stopped him.

I told him that if he did, the human souls, including Shifts, would be lost forever.

"But what about the surface?" Asriel pleaded.

I convinced him there was no need to go to the surface. Asgore only really wanted to return to avenge him, and he had changed. Yes, the other monsters might be upset, but it could be just what I needed to get the last happy ending.

Sighing, Asriel released the souls. The other human souls returned to their jars. Shifts soul floated down to her body, gray and cracked. 

Asriel's body changed to his unpowered form. (with the power of writing, I make it so that Asriel was 16 when he died.)

Sans rushed over to her, trying to push the soul back into her body.

But she remained lifeless.

Sans began to cry.