10. Advice

Shift's POV

Frisk and I started to leave when I stopped. "Actually, Frisk, I want to stay here and talk with Undyne some more, okay?"

"Okay, I'm going to Temmie Village. Meet me there!"

Frisk closed the door behind them.

"So what's up, Shift? What did you want to talk about?" Undyne asked.

I sighed. "I need relationship advice."

Undyne sat down on the counter. "Ooh, do you have a crush on someone?"

She'd hit the nail on the head.

"Yeah. And I know them pretty well, but I'm kinda nervous they like the other human, Frisk. What should I do?"

Undyne ran her thumb along her eyepatch, thinking. "I don't really know. Who is it? Depends on the person."

"Promise you won't tell?"

"Promise. We're best friends now, right?"

Best friends.

I pushed the painful memories of Azzy out of my mind as I sighed.

"It's Sans."

Undyne was silent for a moment, before going into a belly laugh.

"Seriously? Of all the people down here, you like the weakest, laziest monster? Why?" Undyne was in stitches.

I was almost tempted to punch her for talking like that about Sans. With all my restraint, I kept calm.

"Because he's funny and kind and smart... He trusted me when he had no reason to, and I trust him."

It honestly felt good to tell someone.

Undyne sighed and stroked her chin. "Listen punk, if I know Sans, he's probably not interested in being in a relationship. He probably thinks it'd be too much work."

I looked down. She was probably right. Typically I'd have the same mindset.

Undyne noticed my expression and tried to cheer me up. "Hey, he might change his mind for you. Don't give up on that. You need to stay determined."

She was right. I had to stay determined.

"So what do I do?" I asked.

Undyne sat back on the counter. "If it was me, the first thing I'd do would be to see if I actually had any competition. Do you know if Frisk likes him?"

I didn't. She might though.

"After that, just ask Sans. Don't waste your time wondering." Undyne continued.

"You really think so?" I asked.

Undyne nodded enthusiastically.

Nervously, I thanked Undyne and headed out to meet with Frisk.