21. Difficulties

(This chapter contains a slight bit of retcon, sorry.)

San's POV

I was on the phone with Frisk while Shift was trying to feed Caveat. It wasn't going well. Trying to tune out the sound of a cup of baby food hitting the wall, I returned to my conversation.

"So what's up? Is Melody okay?" I asked.

"Yes, she's fine, but we have a bit of an issue with an old friend of mine. Remember the Chara that has been with me for all the resets?"

I said nothing.

"She hasn't been with me for this entire timeline, and she just showed up and now I know why."

I was confused, but I told Frisk to continue.

"Sans, every reset, there'd be little things that were different. A monster standing somewhere else, things like that. I called them FUN values, cause they made things more interesting."

I replied that that made sense, what with messing with timelines.

"So where does Chara fit into this?" I ventured.

Frisk was quiet. "Sans, do you remember how Flowey took Shift's soul because the Justice soul was gone?"

I froze. We'd never looked into where it had gone, further than making sure it hadn't been stolen by someone. by all accounts, it had just vanished.

"Sans, yesterday Toriel and Asgore were getting ready to move to the ruins so Asriel could take over as the king, and they were moving the coffins of the fallen humans to bury them alongside our world's Chara."

I knew where this was going. "And the coffin for the Justice soul was empty, wasn't it?"

Frisk sighed. "It wasn't there at all, Sans. Eventually, they found it, right where they had planned to bury it. Next to Chara's grave. I went with them, and Chara was still there. Talking to a second ghost."

I was gobsmacked. How did that happen?

"What did Chara say?" I asked.

"She said that at the start of the timeline, she found a second ghost there and they decided to hang around. They got together, and, well... there's a ghost child with them. Same age range as Melody and Caveat."

"So?" I honestly didn't see what the big deal was.

"Chara and the other ghost, Clover, are disappearing. All of their energy is going into their son, and they won't make it. Which means the child is going to be an orphan."

"The child needs someone to take care of them. I really have my hands full with Melody, and... I was wondering if you know someone who could take them."

I asked Shift to come over and explained the issue to her. We couldn't take him, we didn't have a big enough house for a second kid. An idea came to me. Paps and Mettaton had just had a kid themselves. Mettaton was a ghost, he'd know how to take care of them, and they had plenty of resources. I told Frisk to ask Papyrus and hung up.

I walked over to Caveat. Quietly, I told him he needs to look out for the kid, and all his other friends. He blinked slowly, what looked like understanding in his sockets.