10

"Patton!" Percy yelled quietly, chasing the five year old as he ran towards the OR.

"I want Papa!" Patton cried as Percy picked him up.

"Papa will be back soon, okay Patt?" Percy said, sitting back down in the waiting room.

"I want Papa now!" Patton wiped tears from his cheeks.

"Patt, do you know why Papa is having surgery?" Percy asked.

Patton shook his head.

"Well," Percy started, "Papa is having surgery to make him feel better."

"Was Papa sick?" Patton asked.

Percy smiled softly, "not really. You see, Papa had a girl body and this surgery helps him have a boy body."

"So Papa's gonna be okay?" Patton asked quietly.

Percy nodded and hugged Patton, "Papa's going to be just fine."

Patton nodded and leaned his head on Percy's shoulder. Percy closed his eyes for a moment.

Patton shuffled off Percy's lap, "I'm thirsty, gon get some water."

Percy hummed, keeping his eyes closed, "Okay Patt."

Patton walked over to the water fountain. He heard someone crying. Patton looked around the corner and saw a boy about his age sitting with someone who appeared to be his father. The boy was the one crying.

"Are you okay?" Patton asked, walking up to the boy.

The boys lip trembled, "M-my brother is sick a-and I'm scared cause I don't want him to die!"

The boy started crying again as his father rubbed his back, "Max, Lo is gonna be okay, he just has a really bad flu."

"The doctors won't let your brother be sick anymore." Patton said, bouncing on his toes.

"How do you know?" The boy- Max- asked.

"Cause doctors help people get better." Patton smiled, "My Papa is going to school to be a doctor and he said he wants to be a doctor because doctors help people get better and he wants to help people get better!"

Max giggled, "okay. So the doctors are gonna help Lo get better?"

Patton nodded, "Yep, yep, yep!"

Max giggled again.

"Patton! There you are!" Percy came around the corner.

"Hi Daddy!" Patton giggled.

"What were you doing here?" Percy asked.

"Max was sad cause his brother was sick and I wanted to cheer him up." Patton explained.

Percy looked over at Max and his dad, "oh. I'm Percy, Patton's dad."

"I'm Jack, Max's dad." Max's father said, shaking Percy's hand, "your son really made Max feel better."

Percy smiled and knelt down next to Max, "so your brother is sick kiddo?"

Max nodded.

"Well the doctors will take good care if him." Percy said.

Max smiled and nodded, "I know."

Then Percy stood and took Patton's hand, "come on Patt, Papa should be out of surgery soon."

"Husband?" Jack asked.

"Fiance." Percy responded.

Jack smiled, "congratulations! I hope you two have a lovely wedding."

Percy smiled and nodded, "Thank you."

"If your fiance is out soon, you should go back," Jack said, "I wouldn't want to keep you any later than you need to be."

"Thank you." Percy responded, guiding Patton back to the waiting room.

"Daddy?" Patton asked, "can we go see Papa now?"

"Almost Patt," Percy said, "when the nurse calls us, then we can go."

"Okay." Patton sat down in a chair, "Can I colour on your phone?"

Percy smiled and pulled out his phone, "Sure Patt."

Patton took the phone and opened it, "Thanks Daddy."

Percy smiled softly. He was proud to call Patton his son. And he couldn't be happier that Patton thought of him as his dad. He had a feeling that their life was gonna be a great one.