BOOK 2 - CHAPTER 6 ~ THIRD PERSON POV

Harley was happy. She slept comfortably for the first time in years. And when she woke up, she was just as happy. She was comfortable, feeling like she was living in a dream.
And that was one she never wanted to wake up from.
She knew that she'd have to get up and work for her freedom fully, her own house, which meant getting a job. But at the moment, she was content.
But she made a huge mistake. She may not have known, but her mother, Rosie, was dying while she was away enjoying her freedom.
And before she knew it, she was gone.
"Time of death, 15:42" the doctor called out, as the others worked to take her body down to preserve it.
The receptionist had the hardest job, however.
She had to call Harley to tell her what happened.
The girls phone rang, once, twice, then she picked up.
"Harley Howell speaking"
Then the unfamiliar receptionist voice replied, "Hello, this is Kimberly Wang, I'm a receptionist at the Memo General Hospital. I'm calling you regarding your mother-"
Harley turned pale.
What's happened to mum?
"What's wrong with her? Is she alright?"
The receptionist closed her eyes, trying to gain composure, she didn't want to do this job but she didn't have a choice.
"I'm afraid not, dear, she was admitted earlier after falling unconscious at her home. The doctors tried to recussitate her but it was too late. I'm sorry dear, but you're mother is gone.."
And that's when her whole world came crashing down.
At those few words.
Her mum, she was dead.
And she wasn't there for her.
She broke down into tears, sobbing to the ground as the Receptionist gave her a few instructions and hung up the phone, almost crying herself.
Harley was in shattered pieces.

On the 17th of September, 2022, Miss Rosie Howell passed away after battling Stage 4 Brain Cancer for 2 years. May you rest in peace.