Chapter 41

Creamleaf and Horsemoon narrowed their eyes, and peered into the bushes. The trees covering the sky didn't give very much light.

"I know you!" A voice hissed from behind. The medicine cats whirled around. Horsemoon recognized Stumpcloud from Gatherings. Her white and brown pelt rippled with muscles, and she was clearly the leader of the patrol.

Behind Horsemoon and Creamleaf, other cats emerged from the bushes. Horsemoon turned and saw Crushmoon, Beestripe, Leafwind, and Quickpaw.

Horsemoon smiled weakly at Quickpaw, who avoided her gaze and shuffled his paws. Her smile faded. What's he so edgy about? She wondered.

"Yeah," Crushmoon growled. "She's the one who killed Hazeclaw!"

Horsemoon opened her mouth to correct him, but Creamleaf objected for her. "She didn't kill him! She was trying to help, unlike you!"

Beestripe huffed. "Why can't she speak for herself, medicine cat? Are you her mother?"

Creamleaf stepped back.

Horsemoon's heart dropped. She was about to tap Creamleaf with her tail, but hesitated. That would have to be a question for later.

"Well," Crushmoon demanded. "what are you doing on our territory?"

"Medicine cat business." Creamleaf retorted. Horsemoon smiled slightly. The medicine cat's fiery returned. "We're just passing through. So please let us through!"

"Okay," Stumpcloud reasoned. Horsemoon's heart lifted. Finally, a cat has sense! She thought. "But..."

Creamleaf and Horsemoon stiffened. "But what?" Creamleaf mewed.

Stumpcloud smiled her evil smile. She pointed at Horsemoon with her tail. "I have to hear her talk."

Horsemoon staggered. Creamleaf had to steady her. "She can't!" Blurted Creamleaf in defense. "She's mute!"

Stumpcloud looked smug. "Exactly."

"Let us through!" Creamleaf yowled, her fury making her claws slide out.

Beestripe sighed from behind. "I guess you can't get through. The warrior code says challenge any trespassing cats, and since you can't do what we want," he stopped for suspense. "we have to challenge you." He looked at Stumpcloud, who nodded. Then, they leaped.

Horsemoon was knocked over from a blow to the back of the head. She landed on her back, and she turned to see Crushmoon  above her. "Medicine cat or not," he snarled. "You're trespassing!" He reared up on his hind legs, and brought them down on her head. Luckily, Horsemoon moved away just in time, and his paws hit the ground.

Horsemoon stood up quickly, stumbling because of no balance. This stupid leg! She thought. She cursed under her breath. I can't even stand up right!

She heard an oof! behind her as Creamleaf was jumped on. Stumpcloud and Beestripe were tackling her, landing blows on her back and spine. Creamleaf was struggling to protect herself.

With that moment of observing her clanmate, Horsemoon lost precious time to attack, and was barreled into by Crushmoon. Horsemoon flew, and landed suddenly into a tree. Her head spun, and she was seeing stars.

Crushmoon was slithering closer, his grin filled with malice. Horsemoon's heart thudded in her chest, and she was sure that every cat fighting could hear it.

Crushmoon was right in front of Horsemoon, his breath bathing her muzzle. Horsemoon almost gagged, it was so nasty and full of squirrel scent. He raised his paw high above her head, and Horsemoon watched as he laughed.

"I told you we challenge trespassing cats!" He looked into her eyes. "Now you can watch other cats trespass in StarClan!" Crushmoon started to bring his paw down and Horsemoon squeezed her eyes shut. She knew what was coming. She'd heard of the death blow many times, but she never thought that she'd experience it.

A few moments went by, and Horsemoon isn't feel the blow. She opened her eyes, hear heart literally hurting her body as it pounded so hard.

She looked at Crushmoon, who had a look of horror on his face. He was staring at the ground, his eyes stretched wide.

Horsemoon followed his gaze, and saw a sickening sight. Black fur was motionless on the ground. Wha... Horsemoon was confused. Creamleaf didn't have black fur. But...

No! Horsemoon swallowed back tears. Quickpaw gave his life for hers. Horsemoon rushed over to him, and Crushmoon didn't even try to stop her.

She crouched down to the apprentice, and found his face. His eyes were closed. He's gone! She wailed inwardly, and she let the tears fall.

Suddenly, his brown eyes fluttered open. He squinted at her, like she was far away. Then they widened as he realized who it was.

"Go!" He croaked. "Run, now!" Then his head flopped down, and his eyes closed. His flanks stilled, and Horsemoon knew that he was really dead.

She rose quickly, and fled the scene. She ran out of the territory, not looking back to see if Creamleaf, or anyone else, was following.