Chapter 2: Watermelon Sticks

Thanks for all the support on this new story, I will be posting Grindeldore stuff at some point in the near future

TJ POV:

When I got to the track, I rode straight over to Reed and Lester who were sat on their bikes talking.

'Hey TJ' Reed greeted when I turned off the engine.

'Hey guys, hows it going?' I asked casually, taking off my helmet.

Reed shrugged, 'could be better you know?'

I nodded, 'Yeh, I know.'

'Reed, tell TJ what you just told me!' Lester punched Reed's arm.

'Oh yeh, oh yeh.' Reed cleared his throat, 'so I have THE tea.'

I smirked, 'dude you say that every time.'

Reed pretended to look hurt, 'you love my gossip.'

'Go on then.' I Insisted, genuinely interested.

Reed looked around to make sure we were alone, 'I heard that this girl called Buffy Driscoll is going to try out for the boys basketball team tomorrow.'

My mouth fell open, 'What! S-She can't do that!'

Reed shrugged, 'well she's doing it alright, from what I've heard, she's good.'

I scowled, 'I don't care if she's good, there's not going to be a girl on my boys team.'

Reed raised an eyebrow, 'is that so?'

Suddenly I panicked, feeling very self conscious all of a sudden as I felt like Reed knew something. They are my best friends, but even they don't know I'm gay. After what happened with my parents, I've shyed away from telling anyone else. It's not something I'm actually that comfortable with, I feel...different, as if there's something wrong with me. At least that's what my parents say.

I tried to act casual, 'you know, I just don't want a girl on the team because it's a boys team!'

Lester nodded, 'that is fair.'

Dropping it quickly, Reed revved the engine of his bike, 'Kippen, Gert, lets do this,'

We revved our engines in response before applying our helmets and racing and doing stunts around the track. Sand and stones sprayed as we skidded our wheels across the floor.
When we were tired, we retreated to the spot where we usually sit, the couple of giant rocks that sat just to the side of the track.

'Nice one Reed,' I complimented him, chugging down half my water out of thirst.

'You too TJ!' He replied, his breathing irregular, 'I liked your jump Lester.'

Lester nodded, 'Thanks Reed, your wheelie was pretty dope.'

We did a group fist bump before sitting down. Reed pulled a box of sliced watermelon from his bag. He took the little cuboid of fruit and ate it, offering the box to Lester who obviously tucked in too, he then offered me some.

'I'm good thanks...' I shook my head as they devoured the fruit fairly quickly, 'what is it with you and watermelon?'

Reed shrugged, 'Tastes really good, and looks pretty cool when you shoot them.'

I laughed, 'What, you saw that on YouTube?'

Reed chuckled, 'Sure Kippen.'

I was a little confused but I decided to ignore it. Thinking to myself whilst they ate their watermelon sticks. Something very dangerous for me to be doing. I started to drift off into my dark place, feeling my arms start to itch with need. Pulling up my sleeve, I scratched across my already deeply scarred arm until the skin turned white.